Ambassador Insights
Jewels

Introducing Steve Puluka from the Ambassador Team

by Administrator Administrator ‎09-25-2012 11:27 AM - edited ‎09-26-2012 04:33 PM

Steve Puluka known as "spuluka" in J-Net,  is first in line for our weekly Ambassador interview sStevePulukaPhoto.jpgeries.  Let's get to know him...

What did you want to be growing up, did you see yourself where you are now? 

Growing up I loved electronics and wanted to be in radio or television.  I ended up spending the early part of my career doing film, video and audio production with electronic repair on the side.  The personal computer revolution in the eighties eventually brought me into servers and networking.

What was your first experience with Juniper? Do you have certifications?

I discovered Juniper in 2008.  I was managing a network that was supposed to be a small stable operation but ended up being a fast growing one.  Juniper introduced me to the concept of dynamic routing over IPSEC networks.  This greatly simplified growing the network with IPSEC.

I have earned the JNCIA ER & EX (now retired certs) and the JNCIS FWV, SSL & SEC.

What advice would you give someone just getting started on Juniper products?

I love the online module Juniper has for "Network Fundamentals".  I send all our new engineers there to take the "final" exam.  It is a great review of the basic networking concepts.  I call this the 5 hours you should have been paying attention in your first semester networking class.

For the Junos based products the Fast Track program is great.  This collection of online modules and books does a wonderful job and is very well organized.

For the SSL VPN I like the sales demo as a starting point.  This does a good job in providing an overview of the connection methodology.  Followed by the Syngress press book.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/dm/sslvpn-demo/

With ScreenOS on the ISG/SSG/NS series, I think the Concepts and Examples guide on the documentation site do a great job and are well organized.

What do you like to do when you’re not working, what do you look forward to doing on the weekend?

I love to sing and teach.  I have a small side job as a cantor leading congregational a cappella services.  And I serve as a teacher and coordinate for our religious education program.  I've earned my masters in Theology with my concentration in patristics.  I've taught a wide range of religious adult education courses.

I also love to teach technology.  I put together short sessions and learning for work.  I blog about specific configurations or issues on my website.  And I've recently mounted an online Juniper class for the ScreenOS systems using the open source Moodle courseware system.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.