Application Acceleration
Regular Visitor
dx3280

DX SLB Group Service types

The "set slb group service" has four options which are default, ftp, tftp, or none. Is there any documentation which spells out what these options actually do? I am specifically wondering about the difference between default and none. Thank you.
Recognized Expert
MattS

Re: DX SLB Group Service types

What I found by testing is that if I define an SLB group to use TCP and port 21 then if I set the service to default it handles the client's FTP connection correctly (as if the service was explicitly set to ftp) while if I set the service to 'none' then I am unable to establish the data channel (port 20) via the SLB group.

I didn't test for TFTP, I would assume that default will handle it correctly if the SLB group is configured to use the standard UDP port 69.

Regular Visitor
dx3280

In my case we are running a half-NATed web service as a SLB group (this was required because clusters do not support the MKTICKET method we use). The documentation does not explain the differences between default and none. It says none makes an "SLB group to function like a regular group with no special processing."

Recognized Expert
MattS

I couldn't find an explanation in the documentation either which is why did a test.  It seems that 'default' will use  FTP/TFTP processing on the SLB group if the relevant well-known port number is used, otherwise you can use 'none' to disable FTP/TFTP processing even if the SLB group is defined to use port 21/port 69.    If you run FTP/TFTP on another port number then you have to select the service type for client connections to be processed correctly.    

I'll file a documentation request so we can add a description of what the default setting does compared to none.

Regular Visitor
dx3280

Matt,

Thanks for doing the work to test this. We placed several documentation requests in September 2008 (387447,387443,387409,387394,386703) and the Admin Guide has not yet been updated.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.