Community Talk
ac

[Contest Closed] J-Net Goes Mobile. Check it out.

by on ‎04-09-2010 05:07 PM - last edited on ‎07-01-2010 09:17 AM by Administrator Administrator

We’re excited to announce that you can now access an optimized mobile version of J-Net, anywhere, anytime from your mobile browser.  It has automatic mobile browser detection and there’s nothing to install, just visit J-Net on your mobile device and you’re "J-Net mobilized" :smileyhappy:.

We would appreciate your feedback about our new mobile platform. Point your mobile browser to: http://forums.juniper.net, check it out and post your comments to this blog and we’ll enter you in a drawing to win prizes.*

Here’s what you need to do to be eligible for the drawing:

1. If you’re not a member of J-Net you’ll need to register for a free account in order to post your feedback, so register now. To complete the registration process sign in to J-Net after registration and pick a user ID. (Note: Juniper employees can simply login with Juniper SSO username/password and pick an user ID)
  2. Leave your feedback or comments about the new J-Net mobile platform on this blog article.

Now start using J-Net mobile and let us know how it goes!

*Prizes are three Apple iPod Touch, 32GB models.  [5/10/2010 regional promotion update: Our EMEA marketing team has sponsored an additional prize for the EMEA region. An additional Nintendo Wii will be given away to a winner randomly selected from the EMEA region]. No purchase necessary. Must be 18 years or older to be eligible to win. Void where prohibited by law. Winners will be selected via random drawing. Promotion ends at midnight PST on June 30, 2010. Limit one entry per person. To be entered into the prize drawing, you must post your feedback by 11:59PM PST on June 30, 2010. Winners will be notified by the end of July 2010 via email and J-Net private message.

[4/15 update] Thanks to all who uploaded pictures to our Facebook fan page! We've given away all our prizes for this mini photo upload promotion and it is now officially closed. However you can still win the drawing by leaving a comment here!

[4/13 update] In addition to the promotion above, I will personally send a Junos t-shirt or a Junos book to the first 15 people who upload a picture of their phone running J-Net mobile. Please see this comment in the thread below for details:

J-Net Mobile FAQ

How do I access J-Net on my mobile device?

Just point your mobile device browser to the same URL that you currently use to access J-Net on your desktop – forums.juniper.net.  You do not need to install any applications since J-Net mobile is a web browser UI that automatically detects mobile clients.

I have a high resolution screen on my mobile device, can I still view the dekstop version of the community on my mobile device?

Yes, simply click on the word "Full" on the bottom of the screen under "Version: Mobile | Full"

What mobile devices can I use to access J-Net?

You can use any mobile device to access J-Net. However, the user experience is optimized for devices which use a WebKit browser. For Blackberry and Windows Mobile users, you may want to download Opera Mini for a better mobile browsing experience. Please see the last section of this FAQ for additional details on device compatibility and suggested browsers.

Why isn't the sign in page optimized for mobile devices?

Currently J-Net utilizes Juniper's shared single sign-on UI, and this interface has not been optimized for mobile browsers. You will still be able to log into J-Net via this page. We will update the community if there are plans to optimize this page for mobile devices in the future.

What functions can I use on J-Net Mobile?

J-Net Mobile is intended to provide you with a fast and simplified user experience when you need to access J-Net away from a PC.  This means while key funtions are available, you cannot perform all functions that are available on the desktop version of the community.  Key features included in J-Net Mobile are:

• Sign in/out of community
  • View boards, threads, and messages
  • Create new threads
  • Reply to existing threads
  • Mark messages as read/unread
  • Give Kudos
  • Send and receive private messages
  • Search the community(forums, blogs, users)
  • Follow other members (add to friends); See who is following you
  • Change certain mobile settings:
    • Turn on/off private messages
    • Subscribe to topics I post to
    • Create a mobile specific signature
  • View your profile
  • View existing bookmarks 

If I post on the mobile version will it update on the main site?

Yes – the mobile version is simply a different UI for the community. Any posts, replies, and PMs that you send will be visible on the desktop version of the community as well.

Do you plan to add any more features and functionalities toJ-Net Mobile in the near future?

There are no immediate plans to add additional functionalities to J-Net Mobile.  However, we are always looking for ways to improve J-Net, and your feedback and suggestions are always welcomed. If you have specific feedback on additional functionality you would like to see on J-Net Mobile, please post in the Community Feedback and Direction board or send me a PM. 

What should I do if I experience technical issues using J-Net Mobile?

If you have any technical issues using the mobile UI, please post your questions in the Community Feedback and Direction board. Other members and J-Net moderators will be able to help you, and we will be able to document and submit any potential technical issues to our platform vendor.

Device compatibility chart

This table shows some of the known device and browser combinations that are supported and provide the best mobile experience:

Device

Browser required

iPhone, iPad

Apple WebKit

Android

WebKit, Opera Mini 5 Beta

Nokia

S60 WebKit

HTC, Windows Mobile 6

IE Mobile, Opera Mini

Please note that this is not a complete list and our platform vendor is constanlty refining the platform and adding new devices/browsers to the compatibility list. If you have other mobile device/browser combinations with problems viewing the mobile community,  we suggest that you download and use Opera Mini as your browser to get the best mobile experience.  

Comments
by MMartinez on ‎06-08-2010 09:27 AM
Looks good. I can now easily search the forums from my phone while out on the server floor.
by marlon_altino on ‎06-10-2010 09:33 PM

with j-net mobile anytime , anywhere i can access junos news , whether Corby samsung touch screen can already compatible with J-net Mobile?, I am very hope once, because my plan will access from anywhere Junos news of my being.

I lOve you Junos

by PaulaLivingstone on ‎06-11-2010 04:51 AM

Glad to see Juniper embracing the social networking wave :-)

by jumah on ‎06-14-2010 01:05 AM

It looks great with Iphone. Thanks ...

by andrewjchapman on ‎06-15-2010 05:18 PM
Looks and works great with Android!
by mkrzych on ‎06-17-2010 10:12 AM

Hey,

Very nice idea to port the site to the mobile format! On my E71 works very well and now I am going to visit J-Net forums even often while commuting to work. Nice job guys! Oh, and on the iPad it will be amazing! Maybe it will be me ;-)

by dtuuri on ‎06-17-2010 12:49 PM

Without any issue I was able to access the site on an HTC/Android device. I was a bit disappointed that the sign in prompt redirected to a traditional HTML site which was not set for my screen resolution. Not a biggie, but I had to zoom in which instantly made me feel I wasn't looking at a mobile optimized device.

I will likely continue to use the site for reading articles and searching for information. I probably will not post as the time required for entry is significantly slower than using a traditional PC. I had no problems and all images displayed clearly.

The only other issue worth considering would be all links opening in a new window. When I am navigating the site and click a link, a new browser window must be started. This presented a problem as I had already opened my max sessions. This is one that is a preference issue and I'm sure most would go back and forth on their preference.

I hope that Juniper continues to develop utilities for non-standard computing devices. I hope some of the cool things for the iPhone / iPad are ported to the Android platform.

by Adivya on ‎06-17-2010 05:21 PM

its so easy to search!

by kymera on ‎06-17-2010 11:03 PM

it's a goodstep from juniper to go mobile as it give an easier way to be in action

by leontin.chiru@ro.ibm.com on ‎06-21-2010 08:56 AM

Looking great on Windows Mobile.

by Wompus on ‎06-21-2010 08:58 AM

This will work well for me

by Soren on ‎06-21-2010 01:40 PM

I really like the fact that what is read on the mobile also appear as read on the desktop version

by deepak.gurunath@hcl.in on ‎06-21-2010 08:43 PM

J Net Mobile is a good platform for all mobile application and very user friendly for all mobile devices.it is a very good technology driven platform and every one should feel happy once they experience it.

by logicsg on ‎06-21-2010 11:20 PM

working fine so far.. but seema that need to download opera on my pearl...hmm lets see. On another note.. "when was the last time you did something for first time"

by craiga on ‎06-22-2010 04:35 AM

The forums are excellent - great  way of interacting with the Juniper Community

About Community Talk

News and announcements for the J-Net Community.

Subscribe to Community Talk  RSS Icon

Follow us on Twitter.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.