Community Talk
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Well Do You Know SVP Susan Lovegren?

by Administrator Administrator on ‎03-24-2016 10:00 AM

This is a continuation of the Q&A series in which we turn the tables on our executives and shine a light on their lives in and out of the office.

Susan Lovegren, SVP of Human ResourcesSusan Lovegren, SVP of Human Resources

Juniper consistently ranks among the industry’s best places to work thanks in part to our flexible work environment and extensive employee benefits. If you needed to salute someone for these accomplishments, look no further than our own progressively-minded Susan Lovegren, Senior Vice President, Human Resources. Upon returning to Juniper last year, Susan picked up where she left off in 2013 with a mission to ensure employees are passionate about where they work.

As we continue to reflect on Juniper’s 20th anniversary, take a moment and get to know Susan Lovegren.          

Where were you before Juniper?

Plantronics, headquartered in beautiful Santa Cruz, California, but previously I was at Juniper from 2006 to 2013.

What career did you aspire to when you were a kid?

Something creative.

Describe your morning routine.

Fast. I try to prepare the night before as much as possible to move into full execution mode when the alarm goes off. 

Coffee or Tea? (And how do you take it?)

Coffee, black. No fuss, no muss.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?

Be nice to everyone because tomorrow they could be your boss.

What’s your biggest guilty pleasure?

Taking a nap.

Are you most productive in the morning or at night?

It varies depending on what needs to be done.

Tell us about the weirdest job you’ve ever held. How did it prepare you for your current role today?

I worked briefly in a hardware store during college and hated it. There were no bar codes at the time so I had to memorize the price of all types of nails, screws and bags of concrete. I also had to wear an ugly orange jacket! The job taught me humility.

What has been the most stand-out moment of your career thus far?

The moments when I can positively impact someone’s life. 

How do you keep a healthy work/life balance?

“Do what you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life.” I have been very fortunate in my career and I find energy in it, but I also listen to the signals from my family when I’ve had enough.

What motivates you the most?

Making Juniper the best place to work for 9,000+ employees. 

Who is most inspiring to you?

Too many people to name, but collectively it is those who never give up and keep working to solve problems for the greater good.

What is one of your favorite memories about another Juniper executive?

Pradeep Sindhu, our founder, awarding Jean-Marc Frailong with the CTO Award at a Company Meeting. It was truly moving.

What’s your favorite place you’ve ever travelled? Why?

Lake Como, Italy, with my husband and three sons. Besides being beautiful, the pace and way of life made it one of the most relaxing trips I have ever taken.

What’s your favorite food in the Juniper Café?

The Coffee. It’s got quite a jolt.

What are you reading right now?

I just starting reading WELLth, How I learned to Build a Life, Not a Resume by the Founder and CEO of MINDBODYGREEN, Jason Wachob.

What advice do you have for the next generation?

Stay curious and never stop learning.

What’s your favorite way to spend the weekend?

Cooking and being with family and friends - with no schedule at all.

What was your first car?

A Dodge Rambler Station Wagon. I could fit 12 people in it and head to the beach!

What car do you drive now?

A 535d BMW.

Any pets?

A little rescue dog, Joey, who has been with our family for over 15 years. He is a diabetic and gets insulin shots twice a day!

What is your “can’t miss” TV series?

I am currently hooked on Better Call Saul, a spin-off based on one of the characters from Breaking Bad. It used to be Mad Men, but it sadly concluded.

Bonus Question: What is your favorite accomplishment to date since joining Juniper?

The new maternity/paternity benefits for our employees

Comments
by Juniper Employee
on ‎03-28-2016 01:17 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for writing this.  It was fun learning more about Susan.  Great article!

Ashley

Announcements

Juniper Innovators Circle
About the Author
  • Hiroaki Kato is a Senior Director of Systems Engineering at Juniper Networks and is responsible for managing the Systems Engineering organization in Japan. Before he joined Juniper Networks, Kato served as Japan Country Manager for Red Bend Software. Kato was responsible for overall business operation of Red Bend Software Japan K.K and grew the business in Japan further in mobile and into other industries. Prior to Red Bend, he was with Avaya Japan Ltd. During his time at Avaya Japan, the roles he took include overall operation of Avaya Japan as its Representative Director, Director of Solutions and Engineering and number of other leadership roles in strategy creation and business development. He also spent time at Avaya’s headquarters in New Jersey, USA, working as strategy and operations prime for one of the Avaya’s business units as well as some leadership role for global sales operations organization. Prior to Avaya, he served as the Unit Manager of Telecommunication Infrastructure Business Unit of Mitsubishi Corporation’s Information Systems and Services Group, providing carrier grade telephony systems and associated support to major telecom carriers in Japan. He also served as a board member of MC Techno-Serve Ltd, a 100% subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation which provided post sales maintenance of the carrier grade telephony systems Mitsubishi Corporation sold. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Tokyo University and EMOT at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
  • Tony Ng is an APAC Demo coordinator with Juniper Networks and is responsible for maintaining inventory of lab equipment in Hong Kong, assist with PoC lab projects, and Demo loan shipment.
About Community Talk

News and announcements for the J-Net Community.

Subscribe RSS Icon

Follow us on Twitter.