Efficiently Managing the New Network
scottedwards

Space...A “New” Frontier: How SDN and Junos Space are Opening New Worlds of Networking Opportunities

by scottedwards ‎03-01-2013 01:38 PM - edited ‎03-12-2013 12:39 PM

As a kid, I remember sitting down at night with my dad as he turned on STAR TREK on our rabbit-eared TV.  I’d get chills as I watched the opening scenes … a dark screen, gripping music, stars appeared, and then the famous line “Space – The Final Frontier.”  Zipping across the TV screen came the Starship Enterprise.   It was a rush of excitement.  And then the words -- “To boldly go where no man has gone before.”  Doesn’t it just make you want grab some popcorn and settle in for a series of StarTrek episodes? 

v sign.jpgMy little kid imagination had me right there on the ship with Captain Kirk.   I was enamored with the thought of going into Space, to explore worlds never seen before.  Being a “trekkie” at this young age, and having the name of Scott, led to other kids often flashing the “V-sign” in front of me and declaring “Beam Me Up, Scotty!”   

Believe it or not, I still have some of the “trekkie” blood in me.  I’m sure a bunch of you do to!  Which is why it so fun to be marketing a software portfolio named “Junos Space!”  How could I not relate this to Star Trek!

GOING WHERE NO OTHER NETWORK HAS GONE BEFORE

In a sense, we are paving the path to “go where no other network has gone before” with Junos Space and Juniper’s SDN strategy.  Junos Space is a critical component of Juniper’s SDN strategy as it provides a: 

• Centralized Management Plane for a single point-of-contact into the network
  • Common management Platform for managing and creating apps
  • Programmable Network to unleash the power of the network 

To learn more, I encourage you to read the blog post on how Junos Space ties into Juniper’s SDN Strategy

At this point, you might asking, “okay, so what is this Junos Space anyway?”  Good question.  I’m glad you asked. :smileywink:

Junos Space is a comprehensive Network Management solution that simplifies and automates management of Juniper’s switching, routing, and security devices. As Juniper’s Network Management solution, Junos Space consists of the following components:

• Junos Space Network Management Platform – providing broad FCAPS, provisioning, and automation for deep element management of Juniper devices. 
  • Junos Space Management Applications – Plug-n-play, domain-specific applications to help you optimize management of specific domains and provision services across multiple Juniper devices (of which Junos Space Services Activation Director is a part)
  • Junos Space SDK & APIs – making the platform open and programmable to create customized application to meet your specific needs, and with exposable APIs so you to have a northbound integration with existing NMS, OSS/BSS systems.

With each of these components working cohesively, Junos Space offers a unified network management and orchestration solution to help you more efficiently manage the frontier of the “New Network.”

In the past few weeks, Juniper has made some exciting announcements around our SDN vision and strategy.   This path to SDN implementation took another quantum-leap forward a few days ago where Juniper announced a new Junos Space Management Application called Junos Space Services Activation Director that offers service providers and enterprises a simple, point-n-click service provisioning tool to provision thousands of TDM, ATM, Carrier-Ethernet, and MPLS services. 

Today, we are also adding another Junos Space Management Application called Junos Space Network Director.  This application is a full lifecycle management solution for both wired and wireless network devices, users, and services.

CHANGES TO JUNOS SPACE PRODUCTS

You’ll also notice that our naming convention has changed, so it easier to understand where products fit in our portfolio.  Below is a list of what is and what is not changing, as well as the value each provides…

PRODUCT NEW NAME

PRODUCT OLD NAME

VALUE PROVIDED

Junos Space Network Management Platform

Junos Space Platform

Comprehensive FCAPS management of Juniper devices which improves operator efficiencies, providing a programmable interface and API's.

Junos Space Security Director

Security Design

Improves the reach, ease, and accuracy of security policy administration.

Junos Space Services Activation Directorbundles 5 mini-apps

Network Activate (aka Network Activation Suite)

Ensures error-free service provisioning and monitoring using a simple interface to design, validate and manage these services.

Junos Space Content Director

Media Flow Activate

Speeds and simplifies deployment and configuration of Junos Content Encore through the network.

Junos Space Network Director (NEW)

n/a

Unified vision and control of the network wired and wireless infrastructure, users and services.

n/a (Going end-of-life.  The functionality of this application is being rolled into Network Director)

Ethernet Design

Simplifies deployment and management of campus and data center networks.

Junos Space Service Now

(no change)

Achieve a 40% increase in Day 1 issue resolution with a remote,  automated trouble-shooting client for Juniper to resolve issues.

Junos Space Service Insight

(no change)

Receiving proactive bug notifications and automated end-of-life/support analysis across 100's of devices in seconds.

Junos Space Virtual Control

(no change)

Provision, define, and deploy end-to-end policies on both virtual and physical networks.

AND WHY SHOULD I CARE? 

You ask good questions.   If you own some of these products, you of course will want to know what names have changed, and what applications are being added.  But, this is more than just changing names.  We are changing the game of network management.  Think of it in these terms…

No other vendor offers the following four elements in network management …

1. Unified, single-console, seamlessly-scalable network management platform
    • Providing deep EMS w/ extensive FCAPS, provisioning, extensive automation
  2. Programmable interface into the network
    • SDK offering to create customized application to meet your needs (by you/partners/or Prof. Serv.)
  3. Expandable platform with Northbound API Integration
    • Exposable APIs for 1) NMS/OSS/BSS integration, easily plug into 3rd-party MoM
  4. Plug-n-play, domain-specific management applications
    • Provision new services across thousands of devices / Optimize workflow tasks

… all working in unison to help organizations automate and simplify the network, reduce costs and SLAs, provision services quickly, and improve network agility. 

BUT WAIT...THAT'S NOT ALL

That’s right.  There is more goodness.  

Along with the new naming and branding of Junos Space, we are now changing the way Junos Space is licensed.  Really, Junos Space is the first proof-point of Juniper’s Juniper Software Advantage program, so that customers can get on that path to SDN.

Instead of offering two packages for Junos Space (Standard and Advanced – bundles of Space applications along with the platform), we are offering the Junos Space software on its own – ala carte.  You can now purchase the Junos Space Network Management Platform separately, on its own, and for a very compelling price.  Note that both Junos Space Service Now and Junos Space Service insight come free with the purchase of the platform!  If what you need is an automated, simplified way to do configuration management, software management, configuration editor, template design/administration and other element management for your Juniper Devices, you can just purchase the platform.  And you get amice cream.jpgazing troubleshooting, remote bug fixes, an proactive/advanced warning of potential issues with the Service Now/Service Insight apps that come with it.  And for customers that have a current JCare or JCare+ service contract with Juniper, your service contract entitles you to run Junos Space with Service Now and Service Insight without any additional cost  (of course additional applications like Junos Space Security Director are licensed separately).

You can then add whatever Junos Space Management Applications you’d like, whenever you want to deploy them.  This way, there is no worry of buying unwanted software, to turn into shelf-ware.  Buy what you want, when you want, to get the value you want.

It’s like ice cream.  And more Junos Space Management Application “flavors” will be added to the buffet.

AND NOW...ON TO YOUR ADVENTURES

Folks, this is the new frontier of network management.  As network operators, you can “boldly go where no other operator has gone before” by implementing Junos Space as your first step to SDN-ize your network and manage your Juniper security, switching and routing devices from one location. 

Junos Space and Star Trek…I’m feeling the chills of excitement again.  And you’ve read a lot of info, you deserve a one-minute trip down memory lane (see video below)

By the way, what were some of your favorite Star Trek episodes? 

This is “Scotty” … signing out.

Comments
by on ‎03-05-2013 03:54 AM

I am looking forward to seeing Network Director. My customer bought SPACE, then took one look at Ethernet Design and said "no thanks". I am hoping Network Director is going to show them more value.

How is legacy licensing going to be handled? Will "standard" license users receive Network Director as replacement for Ethernet Design?

by scottedwards on ‎03-05-2013 09:01 AM

There definitely is a lot of excitement around Junos Space Network Director.  Stay tuned as we'll be talking more about this brand new application.  But, to answer your question, current users of Ethernet Director will be able to transition to Network Director at no cost whenever they are ready.

by ‎03-05-2013 06:48 PM - edited ‎03-05-2013 06:49 PM

Great article, Scott!!

Network Director is pretty neat. We have a demo running of it currently. Most of our infrastructure revolves around the SRX platform, so we get lots of usage out of Security Designer (currently).

Space is an amazing platform, and its the one management platform/app that I have seen that is fully functional and mature from the get-go.

Just my $.02 :smileyhappy:

by scottedwards on ‎03-06-2013 06:38 PM

Thank you!  And good to hear from another Scott. :smileywink:  It is great to hear of your experience with both Network Director and with Security Director.  Seems like you have a bit of experience with Space overall. 

So here's a question out of the blue... how would you like to write a guest blog on this site discussing your experience with Space and some of the value you have received from it?  I know there a lot of people who'd love to hear from you.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.  We can connect offline.

by on ‎03-08-2013 12:11 AM

Will/Does Space support Syslog Logging and Reporting for AppSecure for version 12.2?

by scottedwards on ‎03-08-2013 09:13 AM

Hi Michael,

We have STRM that does logging today so you can capture the logs, but that sits outside of the Space software GUI.  The plan is to incorporate logging functionality within the year. 

by on ‎03-10-2013 08:14 PM

Hi Scott,

Noted on that!

Thanks!

by sheriff ‎03-12-2013 05:51 AM - edited ‎03-12-2013 06:08 AM

Hi guys,

we developed a wonderfull Junos Space training/workshop with rich labs that are based always on latest platform and apps released.

We are delivering it world wide and update it every day.

If you are interested in training your people, e.g. HL overview for sales representatives (1 day WS), Space + specific app labs (1-2 days), full Space training (3 days) or any other customized traiing, just let us know at info[at]twine-networks.com and we make your trianing ;-)

Michal

by on ‎03-12-2013 08:26 PM

Hi Michal,

Is this part of Juniper Partner elearning program?

by on ‎05-06-2013 10:49 AM

Scott,

My apologies for not replying to you sooner. But I'd love to write a guest blog post about our experiences with Space, etc.!

Just say when and where!

by alexander.caro on ‎05-22-2013 12:30 PM

Hi scott:

I have a little question about the junos space, specifically about the security director.This product could replace Jweb of the SRX-3400?, Is recommended for this function? works on cluster?, I ask you for this because the SRX Jweb is slow even in the releast 11 and 12 and i want to implement Junos Space en my job. Thanks for your answer. Regards.

Alexander C.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.