Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Adjusting the OSPF metric or preference.

Posted 04-05-2013 14:45

I have an EX switch campus network and running OSPF I have ended up with several equal cost routes in the routing table of many of my switches.  Some of this is good but there are some that I want to adjust the metric or administrative distance to keep it from becoming an active route.  What is the best way to do this in JUNOS on the EX switches.  Should I adjust the metric or AD/Preference?  All connections are gig/fiber/sfp connections.  All are P2P links and I have the ISV or vlan.xy interface in protocols ospf. 

I hope this makes sense.

Can someone help me with the command line set.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Adjusting the OSPF metric or preference.

Posted 04-05-2013 20:14

• 3.  RE: Adjusting the OSPF metric or preference.

Posted 04-06-2013 14:44

I would increase the cost (metric) of the link you want to become less attractive..... Don't mess with the prefrence here: it tells how the route is learned: ospf. The mechanisism in any linkste protocol is cost..

• 4.  RE: Adjusting the OSPF metric or preference.

Posted 04-08-2013 11:33

You are correct, the metric and preference are different.

to increase the cost of the link in ospf, when you add the interface to the OSPF area, you set the cost there. The preference is for the protocol selection as to which protocol is prefered over the other, lower is better. Cost, is which link is selected based on the cost, lower is better.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.1/information-products/pathway-pages/config-guide-routing/config-guide-ospf.pdf#search=%22set%20spf%20cost%22
    [edit]
    set protocols ospf area 0.0.0.0 interface fe-1/0/1metric 5