Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Aggregated-Ether-Options with 500 Mbps link-speed ?

Posted 07-02-2014 10:05

I want to connect juniper switch at site 1 to juniper switch to site 2 (point-to-point) using Two different Metro-Ethernet providers. I have configured trunk ports to connect the metro-e links. Each Metro-Ethernet link is 500 Mbps whereas Juniper uplink port is 1g. I would like to bundle trunk ports (metro-e links) so that I can get 1g bandwidth between site 1 and site 2.

When I use command "set interfaces ae1 aggregated-ether-options link-speed ?" I do not see 500 Mbps option. I see 10m, 100m, 1g, 10g, 8g,etc..

Can someone guide me what I should do ?

• 2.  RE: Aggregated-Ether-Options with 500 Mbps link-speed ?

Posted 07-02-2014 23:54

Hi

Bandwitdh speed is not important for AE link, The important point is what is your ethernet capactiy. For your examples, you need to set 1G link-speed for AE configuration.

set interfaces ae0 aggregated-ether-options link-speed 1g

• 3.  RE: Aggregated-Ether-Options with 500 Mbps link-speed ?
    Best Answer

Posted 07-07-2014 04:46

The aggregated ethernet link speed does nothing to change the transmission speed of the interface.  It is there to set a constraint so that if a member interface does not match (eg: a 1G interface only negotiates 100M) then it will not be included in the ae bundle. 

What you are trying to do *should* work, however your metro ethernet provide may choose not to pass LACP PDUs, so you might need to make this just a static link aggregation.

The obvious downside to this is that if one circuit becomes unavailable, but your NTU still provides the EX link, you will start dropping traffic.

• 4.  RE: Aggregated-Ether-Options with 500 Mbps link-speed ?

Posted 09-09-2014 11:45

I did not set any speed. LACP configuration is working with two different metro-e links. Thank you.