Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Anyone know why "show arp" takes so long on EX4200 stack running 11.3R3.2

Posted 03-19-2012 08:22

The show ARP request looking for the MAC of an IP address take for ever on this code.  Does anyone have a suggestion other than updating to a newer version?  We had ARP problems in a previous version of code (11.2 family, I do not recall the specific release)  where the ARP table would not take any more entries.  (Not ideal in a L3 switch)

Is there something buggy in 11 series code relating to ARPs?

• 2.  RE: Anyone know why "show arp" takes so long on EX4200 stack running 11.3R3.2
    Best Answer

Posted 03-19-2012 12:01

Hi,

Without knowing anything about your configuration, if DNS is configured and not working, it has to timeout trying to resolve IP's to hostnames making commands like show arp or anything that Junos tries to resolve host names for take a long time to finish.  use the 'no-resolve' option with show arp if this is the problem and then fix or disable DNS.

#thatdidit!wrondns.

• 3.  RE: Anyone know why "show arp" takes so long on EX4200 stack running 11.3R3.2

Posted 03-19-2012 13:50

That did it.  My name servers did not have a route back to the loopback in the remote office.  I removed the name servers from the system stanza and show ARP is now 100%.

Thanks!