Switching

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Calculation of Switch Backplane and Switch Throughput

Posted 10-09-2014 00:14

Hi

Please tell me the way to calculate the switch backplane and switch Throughput  ( For Example , In Technical Specification it is written that switch supports 1Tbps non blocking backplane and 2 million packets per second trhoughput)

Thanks

Amit

• 2.  RE: Calculation of Switch Backplane and Switch Throughput

Posted 10-09-2014 02:07

Do you have the exact statement and the platform presented in the datasheet?

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: Calculation of Switch Backplane and Switch Throughput

Posted 10-09-2014 02:28

Backplane Speed EX4500: Up to 128 Gbps (Virtual Chassis)

EX4550: Up to 256 Gbps (Virtual Chassis)

Data Rate 960 Gbps (full duplex)

Throughput 714 Mpps

This all are written in Juniper 4500 datasheet

• 4.  RE: Calculation of Switch Backplane and Switch Throughput
    Best Answer

Posted 10-09-2014 03:29

OK, I see what you mean.

Backplane here means the dedicated VCP cables.

On EX4500, you can have 2 VCP. Each VCP cable has 64Gbps full duplex. Two cables, 128Gbps full duplex.

On EX4550, you have a slot where you can add 2 more VCP cables. Hence the 256Gbps full duplex

Dataplane rate is for network ports. And in ex4500 you can have up to 48 10G ports. This is 480Gbps simplex, 960Gbps full duplex. That's why it's unblocking. The data plane rate matches the maximum possible traffic that can be sent through the ports.

The number of maximum pps comes probably from the chipset used in the platform.

In case you need to find out how many packets you need for wire speed:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB14737

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.