Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?

Posted 03-31-2017 10:34

I have in the past (more than a few times) gotten RMA's for failed power supplies and sent them in and gotten the replacement a few weeks later.  Should be simple process.  

Today I go for the same and the answer is "we need you to send the entire switch".  This level of stupidity I would expect from EMC but from Juniper?  Unbelievable... the switch is in production and I've already replaced the failed ps with one I have on the shelf for just this occasion.

Has anyone come up against this recently and are there some magic words that can be used to talk sense into the support group ?

FWIW - these are EX4200 closet switches covered under RTF maintenance 

• 2.  RE: Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?

Posted 04-01-2017 04:48

This is a strange response.  I have replaced and gotten RMA for power supply only on the ex4200 series in the past.  Seems like this is a mistake by an employee thinking they are being helpful.

I would push back for just the PS replacement personally.

• 3.  RE: Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?

Posted 04-01-2017 05:59

What is your power supply Serial Number?

• 4.  RE: Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?

Posted 04-01-2017 06:39

Power supply s/n is AV0809390133 which they say does not show in the database (and sure when I check the warranty entitlement it doesn't show, but neither do other power supplies just spot checking).  This is frustrating as I have in the past had no problems getting power supplies replaced when they fail.

• 5.  RE: Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?

Posted 04-01-2017 12:24

If you want to solve your current situation easily, just provide SN for the EX4200 and RMA a new switch, take out the power supply and use it, and return RMA unit with defective P/S.

If you want to pursue this situation further, get me a case number or RMA number of prior power supply replacement.

• 6.  RE: Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?

Posted 04-03-2017 04:45

Here are some previous power supply only replacements

2016-0908-0698

2016-0822-0406

2016-0105-0402

2015-0904-0274

Looking at my case history I've done this a dozen times (replaced just failed power supplies).

As to suggestions just to rma the switch and swap the power supply, this is covered under RTF (return to factory) and so I would have to send the switch in and the switch is in production and is working fine with the spare I had on hand.

• 7.  RE: Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?
    Best Answer

Posted 04-04-2017 11:27

The fix - send them a picture of the power supply with p/n and s/n showing  (thanks to my support guy for thinking of that).  Support updates the database so that shows as a serial number, and then passes it to the RMA people to provide an RMA.  Makes me wonder - something that could almost be automated takes multiple people at Juniper to touch it, send a dozen or more emails, requires me to keep asking, making phone calls, bugging my local rep, etc.  Hopefully this is an exception, not a sign of the way things are from now on.

• 8.  RE: Can't get an RMA for just a power supply?

Posted 04-02-2017 21:32

HI

Doesnt seem like the SN is reistered, the best solution for this would be get RMA for entire chassis replace the PS and return.

Thanks
    Partha