Switching

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Connecting two EX 3300 Switch

Posted 01-18-2013 13:14

Hi,

We currently have two EX-3300 switches that are located in the same cabinet (cabinet A). We recently got a new cabinet, cabinet B, at the same data center, however, it is about 30 meters away from Cabinet A / our existing network infrastructure. So we are planning to purchase another EX-3300 and install it in cabinet B (we will have 6 web server to start, traffic is currently less than 1 Mbps per server).

I was thinking of connecting the new switch to one of the existing EX-3300 using SFP ports, however, that requires us to buy SFP transceiver which is a bit costly.

The other option that I know of is to just get Cat6 cable and connected the switches using a regular port but then I can only get 1 Gbps and I will face bottleneck if two servers decided to upload big files from cabinet B to servers on cabinets A. 

Can I group two or more ports and connect them to other switch to increase the bandwidth? If yes, what's the option called in JUNOS?

Thanks for your help on this.

• 2.  RE: Connecting two EX 3300 Switch
    Best Answer

Posted 01-21-2013 01:23

you are looking for Link Aggregation (LAG), probably with LACP.

check this http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB10927&actp=RSS

cheers 

chris

• 3.  RE: Connecting two EX 3300 Switch

Posted 01-22-2013 09:13

Thanks.

ok, LAG is what I need. Thanks for the info. How LAG is implemented if I want to get two switches for the new cabinet in order to have redundancy?

So:

SW1 and SW2 are in cabinet A

SW3 and SW4 are in cabinet B (As I mentioned 30 meters away and SFP is not an option)

Can I do the following?

SW1 ----------------------- SW2

|                                        |

|LAG                                 |LAG

|                                        |

SW3 ----------------------- SW4

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Connecting two EX 3300 Switch

Posted 01-30-2013 01:20

A more elegant solution would be to use Virtual Chassis so your 4 switches  run as one logical unit.

SW1 <= 2x 0.5m DAC => SW2

^                                           ^

||                                           ||

2x SFP10G-SR          2x SFP10G-SR

||                                          ||

v                                          v

SW3 <= 2x 0.5m DAC => SW4

• 5.  RE: Connecting two EX 3300 Switch

Posted 01-30-2013 06:51

Thanks. At the end, we just decided to go with Virtual Chassis...