Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Connecting virtual router instances on EX

Hi,

Is it possible to connect virtual router instances on EX with something like a "lt" interface (it seems that EX does not support logical tunnel interfaces - am I right?)? Or the external cable method is the only one available on EX?

I have two routing instances on a switch and would like to use ospf between them.

Switches: EX4200, EX3400 

Regards,

Pawel Mazurkiewicz

Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
0 Kudos

Re: Connecting virtual router instances on EX

Hi, 

Rib-groups may be an option to exchange routes and interfaces.

Otherwise it will have to be the loop cable it seems.

Cheers,

Ashvin

Recognized Expert
0 Kudos

What I am not sure about is why you are even using VR's in the first place if you want to exchange all the routes between them anyway?

Sort of defeats the whole purpose of VR's to start with, no?

Normal what you might want is 'some' shared routes, which is accomplished by route-leaking, which is done via RIB-Groups not LT.  See below:

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/example/policy-duplicating-routes.html

Good luck.

Super Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

You can  use Logical systems with lt-interfaces; by which you have dedicated rpd for each [simulating individual router]

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/example/logical-systems-connecting-ls-interface....

-Python
#Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.
Contributor
0 Kudos

python: its EX3400 and EX4200 platform. No logical sytems i suppose.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  rccpgm,

why you are even using VR's in the first place

That would be long story and difficult to tell without a few diagramsSmiley Wink
In a nutshell: it was about avoiding sending traffic transiting the switch to local (directly connected) networks in an environment with VRRP and firewalls (resulting asymetric traffic was a problem).

Anyway, I was able to work around this problem - differently (without  VR to VR links)

Thanks for help! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Pawel Mazurkiewicz

Super Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Got it..

We can do miracles with box suppoting logical sytems..

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Routing/How-To-Build-a-service-provider-network-with-a-single-Juniper/t...

-Python
#Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.