Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Date and Time Synchronization Issue

Posted 10-31-2013 02:21

Dear all:-

I am facing an issue regarding date and time synchronization of Juniper EX-4200 switch.

I updated junos OS image on ex4200 switch from 10.1R1.8 to 12.3R3.4. Now the issue is that whenever I reboot my switch its current date and time set to 14th June 2013. I changed the date and time and commit successfully. But when I reboot the switch again the date and time automatically set to 14th June 2013 which is the OS built time of Junos OS 12.3R3.4..... Any one have the solution please????

Thanks

Amjad Raja

• 2.  RE: Date and Time Synchronization Issue

Posted 10-31-2013 13:33

hi,

EX4200 don't have hardware clock with battery backup. NTP configuration is required. See discussion at 

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Ethernet-Switching/Does-the-EX-have-a-hardware-clock/td-p/38782

jtb

• 3.  RE: Date and Time Synchronization Issue

Posted 10-31-2013 20:58

Thanks

jtb

• 4.  RE: Date and Time Synchronization Issue

Posted 10-31-2013 21:29

Hi,

I have so many ex4200 switches running with 10.1 and 11.1.. there is no issue of time and date with all these switches.

the issue is only with the switch i upgraded to 12.3R3.4

• 5.  RE: Date and Time Synchronization Issue

Posted 11-01-2013 10:58

Your specific issue might well be a bug, but one other workaround, and one that is a best practice anyway, is to configure an NTP boot server, so your switch will query NTP on boot.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.4/topics/reference/configuration-statement/boot-server-edit-system-ntp.html

Regular NTP updates are designed to move in small increments, usually you have to force them to synchronize if they are completely out of sync. The boot NTP server will for them to sync on boot.

• 6.  RE: Date and Time Synchronization Issue

Posted 11-01-2013 11:03

You may also want to include the backup-router option, which will make sure you have a route installed in the route table before the routing process starts, which will enable NTP.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/backup-router-configuring.html

• 7.  RE: Date and Time Synchronization Issue
    Best Answer

Posted 12-13-2013 23:24

Friends:-

I contacted JTAC to solve this issue. JTAC Engineer troubleshoot it and concluded that its a hardware issue and switch needs to be repair..

But I just tried another option. I just downgrade the Junos OS i.e. from 12.3R3.4 to 11.4R9.4, the switch becomes Ok and functioning properly. Now there is no issue of time or date.

So I will not recommend JUNOS OS 12.3R3.4 for every EX-4200.

Thanks and Regards

Amjad Raja