Switching

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Dual XRE200 and dual EX8216

Posted 04-24-2012 03:59

We have dual XRE200 and with two EX8216 and they form a VC.

The EX8216s only have one RE each so XRE200s and EX8216s are NOT fully meshed.

What happens if both XRE200 fails? My understanding is that the EX8216 takes over the forwarding?

We have tested this and the forwarding only lasts like 10seconds and then it dies.

Can anyone shed some light on this? We would like the EX8216 to continue forwarding until the XRE200's is online again.

-John

• 2.  RE: Dual XRE200 and dual EX8216

Posted 04-25-2012 07:24
    I do not believe that this is a fully supported failover method (both XRE's failing) as this would break things up into two complete physical switches, so any of the AE interfaces would break, etc. If you want completely separate switches, I wouldn't use a VC, and if you want the benefits of the VC, I think you would just have to live with the redundancy of having two XRE units. Planning for both units to die simultaneously, but while both switches are still active seems like a futile exercise to me. Ron

• 3.  RE: Dual XRE200 and dual EX8216
    Best Answer

Posted 04-25-2012 13:18

for startes I would certainly recommend getting redundant internal REs into each chassis, otherwise you can't do NSSU.

both XREs failing is the equivalent of both internal REs failing in a standalone EX8200 or any other chassis system -- it goes dumb and ceases forwarding.

It may forward for a period of time until routing adjacencies fall off and bridging tables clear, but once thats occurs it will be completely failed.

will

• 4.  RE: Dual XRE200 and dual EX8216

Posted 04-25-2012 13:41

OK thanks for the reply.

Regards

-John

• 5.  RE: Dual XRE200 and dual EX8216

Posted 04-25-2012 13:39

Hi, I hear you. I know it was kind of a long shoot! 

My thinking was this that somehow there was a function to let the EX8216 RE know that if the the two XRE200 fails it will take over the master RE role since it has a RE card in the chassi? 

I know I was asking for much but I needed to know for sure.

Regards

-John