Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Dynamic (condtion based?) traffic policing

Posted 05-21-2013 02:37

Hello,

I've got a problem I'm trying to solve for a few days and it seems, I need some community help.

The task is to shape/policy traffic dynamically.

Let's say one has 1 gbps bandwidth and wants it to be policed this way:

1. dep. A: 300 mbps

2. dep. B 300 mpbs

3. dep. C 400 mbps

There is no problems with static policing with firewall policers. One can configure them and apply on interfaces.

But, what if one wants any of these departments could use the fully available bandwitdh on network?

Let's say, that dep.A is currently using 200 of 300 and dep.B 100 of 300, so dep.C should be able to use the total of 400+100+200 mpbs or 700 mbps.

Is there any simple way to do this? 🙂 Its easy to be done on FreeBSD ie.

the device is MX80.

• 2.  RE: Dynamic (condtion based?) traffic policing
    Best Answer

Posted 05-23-2013 21:02

This is possible, but you will need to use a combination of firewall filters and class-of-service configuration.

Classify your traffic with the firewall filters, then then as an action, assign the traffic to a specific forwarding-class.  

Then configure you forwarding-class scheduler with the appropriate bandwidth.

• 3.  RE: Dynamic (condtion based?) traffic policing

Posted 05-31-2013 02:39

You could use strict high. That way it will use the remainder of available, but it will also be given all the bandwidth that it needs.