Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX-4200 VC - Backup not becoming Master

Posted 03-13-2013 20:53

Hi,

We seem to have created a dilemma that I can't seem to work out how to bypass.  We had two EX-4200 switches in a VC and as part of a migration project, we decommissioned one of the switches.  What I didn't realise at the time was the switch we removed was running as the Master - this switch has since been factory-defaulted and redeployed elsewhere.  In the meantime, I've had to make changes to the remaining switch and have found that the management address does not respond.  I've gone to the site and noticed that the switch does not have the Master light lit and when I connect the console, I can see messages appearing on the console but it's not responding to any keystrokes and I don't get a prompt.  The switch is still functioning as it was last configured before we split the stack.  I'm guessing this is because of the split detection.  Is there some way I can get around this and force the switch to become master without affecting the current configuration as I don't have a backup of all the configuration changes that were made.

Thanks,

Mark J.

• 2.  RE: EX-4200 VC - Backup not becoming Master

Posted 03-14-2013 02:02

Hello,

If your switch is not responding to console, this is a bit tough, the (perhaps) only remaining option is to power-cycle it.

Assuming it comes up responsive, the last 5 configs are in /config directory on the flash (it's not like CSCO where if you didn't do "wr mem" then latest changes are lost on power-cycleSmiley Happy )

If you manage to get it to respond, then configure "no-split-detection", see this switch becoming master and then remove "no-split-detection".

HTH

Thanks

Alex

• 3.  RE: EX-4200 VC - Backup not becoming Master
    Best Answer

Posted 03-14-2013 19:26

Since you are seeing messages but not getting a response when you press keys, double check that flow control is turned off on the connection.  If it is on you'll see that sort of behavior.

If it is off and it isn't responding to keystrokes, then yeah, there isn't a lot you can do beyond rebooting it.  You can do that via the front LCD panel; don't just pull power. 

If I recall correctly, there is a KB article regarding VC split-detection that says to disable split-detection if there are only two nodes in the VC.

-Chad

• 4.  RE: EX-4200 VC - Backup not becoming Master

Posted 03-18-2013 17:44

Thanks Chad.  A complete oversight on my part.  It was the first time I'd run a console connection from this notebook (new machine) and I didn't check the parameters properly.  Turned off flow control and got access to the switch, then disabled spli-detection and applied.  After about 15 seconds of increased heartrate when I lost complete access to the site, all came good and I can now manage the switch.

Regards,

Mark J.

• 5.  RE: EX-4200 VC - Backup not becoming Master

Posted 03-18-2013 17:47

Hooray for it being something simple! 

Glad to hear that you're up and running again.

Cheers!

-Chad