Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX 8200 (VC) - RE change fails

Posted 04-16-2012 00:16

Hello,

i have a problem with our ex 8200 and the RE change.

I will change the Backup RE (SRE1) in my ex8200 vs. an RE from a other ex8200 without an config but the same Junos Version.

The RE runs in the ex 8200 chassis but when i logged in the console, i see that the RE is Master. It cant be, because the SRE0 is Master in the chassis. When i logged in the SRE0 i see thet it is Master too und wenn i make show chassis Routingengine is the that SRE0 ist Master and SRE12 is Backup.

So when i make the SRE1 Master, all routed und switched pings stop. I think the SRE1 don´t has the running config.

The ex 8200 runs with an second ex 8200 and two XREs in Virtual-Chassis mode and alle connections are running between the XRE´s and RE on the ex 8200.

So what is the procedure when i will change the RE in an ex 8200?? I think it must be Plug & Play?!

Junos Version is 11.4R2.14

Andre S.

• 2.  RE: EX 8200 (VC) - RE change fails
    Best Answer

Posted 04-16-2012 13:23

is this a new / replacement RE?

if so, and its to be part of an EX8200-VC it's possible that the RE is not in 'VC-mode.'

unfortunately i'm not aware of a command as to how you check if its in VC mode or not, but you can force it to be in VC mode with an operational command (NOT a configuration command!)

Console into the RE in question and enter:

set chassis virtual-chassis local

this will cause the RE to reboot into VC mode and afterward it will hopefully join in with the VC properly.

in VC mode I don't think the internal REs have a config file per se, but once its up and joined, I would still make sure to do a commit sync from the master XRE just to make sure.

good luck,

will

• 3.  RE: EX 8200 (VC) - RE change fails

Posted 04-17-2012 03:50

Thanks,

it runs when i set the RE in VC Mode.