Switching

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX-Switch not able to traceroute or ping

Posted 10-22-2009 13:29

I get the following message when trying to trace or ping an address to verify routing.

traceroute 4.2.2.2   
    could not create child process

What does it mean? I'm i missing something

• 2.  RE: EX-Switch not able to traceroute or ping

Posted 10-24-2009 20:58

can you also please paste the output from /var/log/messages while you performed this command

which JUNOS version are you using?

thanks

raheel anwar

• 3.  RE: EX-Switch not able to traceroute or ping
    Best Answer

Posted 11-02-2009 06:10

Hi,

are you using NSM to configure/monitor this switch? There was known issue with EX and NSM. NSM consumed all available processes (file descriptors) on EX. That is why you could see this message.  Which can be seen with the following command: show system processes detail.

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

#yesterday.....
    #hit
    #good
    #check
    #Mike
    #head
    #out
    #man...I
    #u
    #post
    #IT
    #the
    #but
    #on
    #nail
    #my
    #back
    #today
    #figured
    #didn't
    #till

• 4.  RE: EX-Switch not able to traceroute or ping

Posted 11-04-2009 12:58

Mike,

That is correct. To expand a little more, it occurred on 2 different versions of JUNOS 9.3r3.8 and 9.5.r.2.7. When you have NSM configured on the EX switches it begins to create additional mgd processes that start to take up all available CPU. I worked with Joseph from JTAC for sometime killing all the processes. Since the EX switches were in a Virtual Chassis it began spawning these additional processes on both the master and back-up (a total of 103 process that we had to kill 1 by 1 since we could not reboot the switches 24x 7 environment). First we removed the NSM config then killed all the process. I was pleasantly surprised that the switch was @ 100% cpu utilization but maintained OSPF adjacencies. But again thanks. Kudos to you.