Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX2200-C Compatibility With Cisco SG-300-10

Posted 07-07-2012 13:08

Hi!

I am interested in knowing whether an EX 2200-C switch is compatible with a Cisco SG-300-10 switch. Here is my situation.

I have a SOHO setting where I definitely need improved switches. Right now, I have an Verizon FIOS router connected to a Cisco SG-300-10 switch which then connects to other Ethernet ports on the house. One person in the office needs to do a lot of video conferencing and also needs to save large amounts of data to a "FreeNAS" network attached storage server. That person is currently served by a very cheap Trendnet switch which can't handle the workload being put on it. Another person does conferences including voice and desktop sharing over the web.

To make the best use of the hardware budget I am thinking of replacing the Trendnet switch with the Cisco switch and then connecting that switch to a new EX 2200-C. Then, if my understanding of networking is close (I'm not network certified in any sense), I believe I can use "link aggregation" on both the Cisco and the EX 2200-C to let that person push large amounts of data onto the network storage share.

Is the above possible? Can the EX 2200-C and Cisco hardware connect happily and talk to each other and give that person much improved throughput?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bob Cochran

• 2.  RE: EX2200-C Compatibility With Cisco SG-300-10
    Best Answer

Posted 07-08-2012 17:47
    Unless they are pushing multiple streams of data, an aggregated interface won't improve the bandwidth of a single user to this single destination, as the hash algorithm uses L2-L4 values to choose the interface. That said, both support 802.3ad lacp, so there shouldnt be any problem talking to each other.

• 3.  RE: EX2200-C Compatibility With Cisco SG-300-10

Posted 07-09-2012 14:33

Thank you very much!

Bob