Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:19

I'm trying to re-run ezconfig on a ex2200.  I've found the guide explaining how to do it on the EX3200 and ex4200, but nothing on the 2200.  I found another post on here saying to do the following:

To load the factory default :

# load factort-default

#set system root-auth plain-text-password  |( then press enter & give the password fopr the root account )

# commit

when I reboot it has wiped the interface settings and hostname, but I still get this

Error: Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.
    root@%

• 2.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:26

Hi,

This is a expected behavior because the root password makes the config different to the default config. That's why EZsetup won't run. On the other hand, you can't commit a factory default config without root authentication Smiley Sad

The recommended way is to delete the config files what transforms the switch back to a virgin device. This procedure should not be different on the EX2200 than compared to the EX3200 or EX4200. What steps have you done in detail?

Regards,

Dominik

• 3.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:31

The only steps I have tried are the ones above.  Can you direct me to the config files I should delete?  I'm new to JunOS so I'm not really sure where to look.

• 4.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.
    Best Answer

Posted 05-05-2010 05:36

If I remember it right, you have to do the following steps:

1. Start a root shell by logging in as root and then either omit the cli command or from operations mode, type start shell
    2. Change into the /config directory by cd /config
    3. Delete all files from there by rm *
    4. Reboot your device

Please tell me if that worked for you.

Regards,

Dominik

• 5.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:39

Should I do rm -rf since there are directories in /config?

• 6.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:49

It should be sufficient to delete all config files. That are the files starting with juniper.conf* and the rescue config rescue.conf.gz. You might have a look into the subdirs if there are also config related files.

Regards,

Dominik

• 7.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:52

Supplemtal: The first five config files and the rescue config are directly stored under /config, all other configs that might exists are under /config/db/config. If you delete the config files from there, we should be on the save side.

• 8.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:54

That worked.  Thanks.

• 9.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 05-05-2010 05:55

You are welcome!

• 10.  RE: EX2200 Cannot start EZSetup, system is not in factory configuration mode.

Posted 09-16-2011 12:25

I get a "Permission denied" when trying to enter the /config directory.