Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX2200: How to find out ip address for port

Posted 04-11-2016 10:25

I have device connected to port ge-0/0/5 which is apart of a vlan on my EX2200.  The device has a static ip address assigned to it.  I forgot the ip address and I need to ssh into that device, is there a way to figure out the ip address  from the EX2200 itself?  

I tried the Show arp command but nothing came up.

• 2.  RE: EX2200: How to find out ip address for port

Posted 04-11-2016 13:29

Hi,

AFAIK , there is two ways to establish this goal :

1- Configure l3-interface on the EX in order to run the "show arp" command .

2- Configure dhcp-snooping and run the command "show dhcp snooping binding"

• 3.  RE: EX2200: How to find out ip address for port

Posted 04-11-2016 21:37

Hi !

1. define a layer 3 device  ( vlan.x) for that vlan

2. do ping to the subnet broadcast address ( the highest address in the net) and check the return

you can also do a monitor traffic to see the answer packets comming back to teh RE

regards

alexander

• 4.  RE: EX2200: How to find out ip address for port

Posted 04-22-2016 04:48

Remember that the switch wil have ethernet-switching table with defaul aging time out 5 minutes. If device has static IP, and never communicates with the switch, then it does not log any information in the table. You you need to get the device to talk to the switch. If you know the device name, then try pinging it by name and get the IP address.

Try ping ip addess on your network to see its address, then its all yours to figure out which one belongs to that device. If there are hundreds then...dilemma.

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -n 1 192.168.1.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddresses.txt

this will also resolve hostnames
    FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -a -n 1 192.168.1.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddresses2host.txt