Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX2200 two member Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-06-2014 06:35
    I'm configuring 2 separate 48p poe EX2200 virtual chassis consisting of just 2 members one for ground floor users and one for first floor.

Which role should the second switch be, I assumed line-card but wanted to confirm?

Thanks
    Ross

• 2.  RE: EX2200 two member Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-06-2014 06:44

If you are going to use preprovisioned mode, you can assign only one routing-engine to the VC. But this is something that you should avoid. If the only routing-engine will fail, you will end up with a FPC that is in linecard mode. This is something that you don't want.

If you are going to use a non preprovisioned mode, then there will be an automatical election and, in your case, both FPCs will be in routing engine roles. One will be the master and the other one the backup.

As you can see, a routing-engine is just a smarter linecard, so preferably is to have as many routing-engines as possible. Of course you are limited to only two routing-engines:

[edit virtual-chassis]
    'member'
    No more than 2 routing engines can be configured
    error: configuration check-out failed

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: EX2200 two member Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-06-2014 06:54
    Ok thanks, so can I not pre-provision a master and backup? If not then I'll have to go non provisioned.

The reason for only 2 member is to separate by floor but also if have options to expand each VC up to 4 members.

• 4.  RE: EX2200 two member Virtual Chassis
    Best Answer

Posted 07-06-2014 07:07

Yes, you can preprovision two FPCs as routing-engines(one master and one backup).

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 5.  RE: EX2200 two member Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-06-2014 07:51
    Ok thanks I'll give it a go.