Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX3200 - use of out of band management port

Posted 03-09-2012 09:02
      |   view attached

Hi,

I am new to Juniper and EX switches. I am trying to use the mangement port at the back of the switch. The me0 port is configured as follows  and also i have a default route set  but unable to even ping the default gateway. The me0 port is connected with the LAB switch. What am i missing ?  (attached the switch config)

Thanks in advance for help.

MSC

[edit interfaces me0]

unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address 172.25.8.73/24;
        }
    }

[edit routing-options]
    static {
        route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 172.25.8.1;
    }

[edit routing-options]

SW1# run ping 172.25.8.1                                  
    PING 172.25.8.1 (172.25.8.1): 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: No route to host
    ping: sendto: No route to host
    ^C
    --- 172.25.8.1 ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

[edit routing-options]

Attachment(s)

txt
    SW1.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: EX3200 - use of out of band management port

Posted 03-12-2012 02:00

can you see the me0 interface up by "show interface terse"? and can you ping self ip 172.25.8.73?

If it's up but still can't ping, you may need to reboot the switch while me0 interface is up (connecting cable).

• 3.  RE: EX3200 - use of out of band management port

Posted 03-12-2012 02:32

I am not sure I understand why you would have a vlan l3 interface that is in the subnet of your oob management subnet?  That said, I think the rest of your configuration seems fairly straightforward, and I would expect it to "just work".

Also looking at your configuration, I see you are running 11.3R1.7.  I would not recommend that release in a production environment.  Unless you need some special feature in the 11 code release, my recommendation would be to stick with 10.4R9.

• 4.  RE: EX3200 - use of out of band management port

Posted 03-12-2012 07:52

Thanks Jacky and Ron. Yes i see me0 interface up up and i can ping the local ip of 172.25.8.73.

Do i need any layer3 interface for the managemt traffic? I keep the configuration very simple but not sure what is missing.

• 5.  RE: EX3200 - use of out of band management port
    Best Answer

Posted 03-12-2012 18:30

You only need to use the back port if you want a dedicated out-of-band management interface.  In my experience, most people manage the devices from an in-band interface, often either a l3 vlan interface, or a loopback interface depending on the configuration.  There is nothing special about the me0 interface (or vme0 interface) other than the fact that it is not designed for transit traffic.

Ron

• 6.  RE: EX3200 - use of out of band management port

Posted 03-12-2012 19:23

You no need to use a vlan interface for that but only configure with a famiy inet address in me0.

Actually I've faced similar issue befoe while staging EX switches, it said no route to host after I've configure a ptp address.

Finally I gotready the physical connection and made a reboot then everythings goes fine.

I would suspect there's somethings inside the forwarding table updates but no more forcus on it.

• 7.  RE: EX3200 - use of out of band management port

Posted 03-14-2012 05:09

Thanks Ron and Jacky for your feedback. The issue is resolved. As per Ron suggestion, i will change the Junos version as well .