Switching

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4200 10GbE uplink

Posted 09-20-2009 14:23

I am about to purchase a stack of EX4200s, and I will have to connect a few servers at 10GbE to the SFP+ uplink module (2X4SFP).

1. Are these uplink ports equally configurable as any other ports on the switch ? (The documentation seemed to imply they are only used for uplink and VC)

2. Do they support 10GbE Copper DA SFP+, or do I absolutely need optics ?

3. With optics, can I use standard SFP+ SR from another vendor, or is juniper implementation either proprietary, restricted, or incomplete ?

• 2.  RE: EX4200 10GbE uplink
    Best Answer

Posted 09-20-2009 23:57

Hi,

>1. Are these uplink ports equally configurable as any other ports on the switch ? (The documentation seemed to imply they are only >used for uplink and VC)

They are absolutely equall to any other port.

>2. Do they support 10GbE Copper DA SFP+, or do I absolutely need optics ?

It is on our roadmap for next year. So currently not supported.

>3. With optics, can I use standard SFP+ SR from another vendor, or is juniper implementation either proprietary, restricted, or >incomplete ?

Yes you can as long as this SFP  is standard conform. However, in case of a problem you could be requested by JTAC to replace this SFP with Juniper one if JTAC thinks the problem is caused by third-party vendor SPF.

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it. 

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

• 3.  RE: EX4200 10GbE uplink

Posted 11-02-2009 09:24

Mike, glad to hear the DAC SFP+ is on the roadmap.  Do you mean next CALENDAR year, or sometime earlier?  I ask because I am looking to replace some EOL Cisco switches in the coming months, and DAC connections would really cut down on the total cost.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4.  RE: EX4200 10GbE uplink

Posted 01-19-2012 08:21

>>1. Are these uplink ports equally configurable as any other ports on the switch ? (The documentation seemed to imply they are only >used for uplink and VC)

> They are absolutely equall to any other port.

Hi,

i found this interesting post. I have another question, if the 10GbE ports of an EX4200 are normal ports, is it possible to connect a server with 10GbE port to it and treat the ethernet connection like a normal one. As far i read the answer should be yes, ,is it right? Has someone already did it?

Thank you.

Strion.

• 5.  RE: EX4200 10GbE uplink

Posted 01-21-2012 05:00

@strion wrote:

>>1. Are these uplink ports equally configurable as any other ports on the switch ? (The documentation seemed to imply they are only >used for uplink and VC)

> They are absolutely equall to any other port.

Hi,

i found this interesting post. I have another question, if the 10GbE ports of an EX4200 are normal ports, is it possible to connect a server with 10GbE port to it and treat the ethernet connection like a normal one. As far i read the answer should be yes, ,is it right? Has someone already did it?

Thank you.

Strion.

Yes.

• 6.  RE: EX4200 10GbE uplink

Posted 01-21-2012 16:21

Absolutely.  We did our testing of 10 gig NICs on servers using the 4200, and for a few branch sites with backup needs, the 4200 is the most cost effective 10 gig solution when you only need a few.