Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4200 PSU Model in CLI

Posted 02-15-2013 16:14

Hello

I'm trying to find a way to show (via CLI or Web GUI) on a ex4200 chassis - the model number of the PSU in the switch.

Based on This Post in another thread, the PSU model supported for an ex4200-48PX (or 24PX) is different than the ex4200-48P.  Specifically - the PX requires model ex-pwr2-930-ac (or pwr3 I assume as that's what ships with the switches)

Looking at a show chassis hardware in the CLI and the subcommands of that (clei-models, model, extensive), all only show a general detail under description (not the model number) or the suggested replacement FRU model but not the actual model operating in the switch.

I verified this by placing a ex-pwr-930-ac (the unsupported one) in the switch along with a ex-pwr3-930-ac that came with the ex4200-48px and doing a show chassis hardware clei-models:

this is the result for PSU:

Item                       Version    Part number  CLEI code                FRU model number
    Power Supply 0   REV 01   740-046492   CMUPABNBAA        EX-PWR3-930-AC
    Power Supply 1   REV 08   740-035875   COUPAGBEAB        EX-PWR2-930-AC

The ex-pwr-930-ac is Power Supply 1 (the second one) there, but no where can I find in the CLI a place that shows me its model number, just the part number and I can't seem to find a place to do a part number lookup that cross references model number (and multiple part# and revs exist for the same model number).

just show chassis hardware gives part# , serial and description (PS 930W AC  - for any 930w model PSU in the switch) only , no model number either

Anyone run into this and found a solution?

My main reason is a possible vendor order issue shipped the ex-pwr-930-ac models as spares and some switches may be deployed with those unsupported PSU's in them as spares.  I can inventory the hardware from CLI but not tell what model is currently running in the unit by part number and cannot find a model to part number x-reference. 

The FRU displayed is only the suggested replacement model so that does me no good either.

If I have 100 of these in the field I dont want to have to pull PSU to look at stickers to determine the PSU model to check for unsupported hardware - hope this makes sense 🙂

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: EX4200 PSU Model in CLI

Posted 02-23-2013 18:55

hi clanger,

can you try a show chassis hardware detail?

• 3.  RE: EX4200 PSU Model in CLI
    Best Answer

Posted 02-25-2013 20:37

The FRU should be for the actual installed model, not the suggested replacement.

Here's what I get from a known first-generation 930W power supply.

Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
      Power Supply 0 REV 03   740-020959   AV0809xxxxxx      PS 930W AC
      Power Supply 1 REV 03   740-020959   AV0809xxxxxx      PS 930W AC

The CLEI for the first generation is either COUPACEEAA or COUPACEEAB.  The model number is the same for both.  AA is revision 2, AB is revision 3.

Based on what you pasted it looks like you have a PWR2 and PWR3 installed, not one of the first generation PWR-930 models.

So, based on both of our hardware info, I'd go with this for the part number to model mapping:

740-020959 = first generation PWR-930

740-035875 = second generation PWR2-930

740-046492 = third generation PWR3-930

Cheers!

-Chad

• 4.  RE: EX4200 PSU Model in CLI

Posted 02-26-2013 09:17

Thanks Adam and Chad

I tried the show chassis hardware detail - same result

Chad, your explanation sounds correct to me - there just wasn't a way that I knew to find that info - and it makes sense that the FRU model shown in CLI would be the one in there - except the documentation in the link I posted mentions the only way to tell which model to verify is to look on the model number sticker physically on the unit.

When I did that - the sticker shows ex-pwr-930-ac yet like you said the FRU shows it as a PWR2 - so they contradict.

What I'm getting from my Juniper rep now is possibly they began manufacturing gen 2's (pwr2) and putting gen1 (pwr) stickers on them since they are backward compatible with 48P and 24P model ex's - but I'm guessing they didnt forsee the confusion when I see a gen1 sticker on the PSU knowing it cant go in a 49PX switch 🙂

Can you post a link where that part# to gen version info you provided can be found on Juniper's site?  That clears up a lot!  Thanks! 🙂

• 5.  RE: EX4200 PSU Model in CLI

Posted 02-26-2013 11:20

clanger wrote:

Can you post a link where that part# to gen version info you provided can be found on Juniper's site?

Unfortunately, no.  I have never found anything useful regarding part numbers to model number on the site.  What I've done is use our existing hardware to determine what part number maps to a specific part.  What I put in prior is a combination of our 1st gen part number + FRU/model number and your 2nd and 3rd gen models.  Ours are definitely first gen since they long pre-date the PX models and support for 802.3at.

Really though, you can go by the model number returned by show chassis hardware models or show chassis hardware clei-models.  The chassis-control subsystem queries the parts via I2C and gets assorted information back from the device itself.  That's going to tell you exactly what the part says it is when the chassis queries it.

1st gen stickers on 2nd gen power supplies makes sense.  First batch or few it probably got overlooked.

If you're looking at PEMs not installed in a chassis then see if you can find the CLEI bar code.  Your output has the CLEI codes for 2nd gen and 3rd gen and I gave you the CLEI codes for the 1st gen that I have.  That -should- be correct since the CLEI bar code is what would be used for inventory purposes, not the FRU model number.

Cheers!

-Chad