Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4200 VC 10Gbps

Posted 12-14-2012 05:54

Hi,

Please could anyone advise on the use of either 10Gbps fiber links or the VCP within the VC ?

• 2.  RE: EX4200 VC 10Gbps

Posted 12-14-2012 07:00

I  have used 10GB fiber links on the uplink module for VCP connections with no problems. Do you have a specific question or concern? 

• 3.  RE: EX4200 VC 10Gbps

Posted 12-14-2012 07:40

thanks for the response, I am trying to understand if there is an impact when using the 10Gbps links connecting the members of the VC rather than the VCP cables that  connect the backplane; other than the obvious difference in speed. The physical positioning of the EX4200 switches will be TOR with VCP 1.5m cable connecting between racks. Then between suites, because of distance, we are thinking of using the fibre 10Gbps ports on the module, whether in a 10Gbps LAG or just a single connection, x2, that will complete the ring topoology, and all in 1x VC. 

Perhaps either not understanding or looking for some functionality difference between a 128Gbps VCP and the 10Gbps fibre interface configured as a VCP that does not exist.

• 4.  RE: EX4200 VC 10Gbps
    Best Answer

Posted 12-14-2012 08:11

From my experience in testing and in implementing in production environments I have not found a difference between creating a VC using 10GB VCP, 128 backplane VCP or mixed VCP other than the obvious throughput limitation that would exist. I love using uplink ports as VCP ports to extend the VC capabiity out when implementing in locations when distance is an issue.

I have used this in companies where we have put 2 / 3 clusters of switches in 2 / 3 wiring closets using the mixed topolgy to make a aggregation layer VC and then using 10 GB uplink ports back to our core.

• 5.  RE: EX4200 VC 10Gbps

Posted 12-15-2012 01:58

many thanks for the feedback, reassuring to here you have had only good experience of this method of cabling within the VC.

Cheers

Colin