Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4200 VC booting from backup partition

Posted 11-05-2015 12:00

Hello,

I have 2 EX4200's in a VC. Everytime I log into the VC I get the followingb error:

WARNING: THIS DEVICE HAS BOOTED FROM THE BACKUP JUNOS IMAGE

It is possible that the primary copy of JUNOS failed to boot up properly and so this device has booted from the backup copy.

Please re-install JUNOS to recover the primary copy in case it has been corrupted and if auto-snapshot feature is not enabled.

I found KB23180 which is a fix for this problem, but it is for a single switch

I ran the command " show system storage partitions" and it does show that fpc0 is booting from the backup partition on fpc0.

The fix in the KB is to run the following command "request system snapshot media internal slice alternate". Again for a single switch.

So I typed the following command "request system snapshot media internal member 0" and I have 3 optional commands after that. They are:

config-partition

partion

root-partition

Which 1 do I select???? Thanks for the help.

• 2.  RE: EX4200 VC booting from backup partition

Posted 11-05-2015 15:54

Which device is the master? fpc0 or another?

• 3.  RE: EX4200 VC booting from backup partition

Posted 11-06-2015 03:15

FPC 0 is the master

• 4.  RE: EX4200 VC booting from backup partition
    Best Answer

Posted 11-08-2015 03:22

Hi,

according to this :

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos13.2/topics/reference/command-summary/request-system-snapshot.html

I think you're typing the command not right . your command is related to TX Matrix Routers.

The right syntax is :

Screenshot_1.png

see also : http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.3/topics/task/troubleshooting/ex-series-booted-from-backup.html

• 5.  RE: EX4200 VC booting from backup partition

Posted 11-09-2015 08:35

Thanks Abed,

Since I am very new to Juniper/JUNOS, I am assuming the command to repair the primary partition on FPC0/RE0 (2 switches in a VC) would be:

request system snapshot slice alternate member 0 root-partition config-partition

----OR----

request system snapshot slice alternate member 0 config-partition root-partition

I am just trying to figure out since my primary partition is corrupted, am I copying from config-partition to root-partition or vise versa. Please advise.

Thanks,

TD

• 6.  RE: EX4200 VC booting from backup partition

Posted 11-09-2015 08:40

These are the optional commands I have after I type "request system snapshot slice alternate member 0"

<[Enter]>

config-partition

root-partition

|

Also, I am running Junos 14.1X53-D10.1 on both of my switches in the VC.

• 7.  RE: EX4200 VC booting from backup partition

Posted 11-11-2015 18:26

I would also suggest you configure auto system snapshot, always for any Juniper devices that have dual-root partition.  The command is:

set system auto-snapshot

For additional information see here:

http://www.pointlesspackets.com/2014/05/18/juniper-system-auto-snapshot/

Good luck.

• 8.  RE: EX4200 VC booting from backup partition

Posted 11-13-2015 08:55

Thanks for the advice! I need all the help I can get.