Ethernet Switching
Contributor
cdljel

EX4200 Virtual Chassis Issue

Hi Guys,

I currently have four ex4200 switches run in their own virtual chassis with 11.4R2.14 firmware.

Today all clients connected to member 03 LC in the chassis lost connection to the network. When i looked at the switch in the server room the LCD screen reported no alarms and it looked fine, except there were no lights on the ports that the clients connect to.

To fix this i had to reboot the switch but i'd like to know if anyone has ever come across this issue? There is nothing in the show log messages to indicate what happened. Is there any other logs i could look at to try and find out what happened?

Thanks

JNCIA-Junos, JNCIA-EX, JNCIA-FWV, VCP, CCNA, CCNP, MCSE
Super Contributor
nikolay.semov

Re: EX4200 Virtual Chassis Issue

I've encountered this a couple of years ago on a standalone 4200 running JUNOS 9. JTAC told me to update to latest recommended, and I've never seen the issue since.

You should definitely address this with JTAC as something certainly went wrong. They may be able to get further information from the switch. Also, you're running JUNOS newer than recommended.
Trusted Contributor
Luca

I have seen weird stuff like this before also.

You should always run the JTAC recommended version.  11.4r2.14 is quite new.

EX4200 should run, 104r9.2 i think.

Contributor
cdljel

Unfortunately there isn't any support on this switch to log a call. I'm going to swap it out tonight.

After more digging i found the following error in the log "/kernel: Buffer management parity error detected in mpfe1, value 0, re-init the PFE".

JNCIA-Junos, JNCIA-EX, JNCIA-FWV, VCP, CCNA, CCNP, MCSE
Contributor
Michael Gonnason

a restart of the PFE process is definately a hit, but it should have recovered within a second or two.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.