Switching

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

• 1.  EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 06-01-2009 10:51

FreeBSD/PowerPC U-Boot bootstrap loader, Revision 2.1

Memory: 1024MB
    Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf
    Unable to load a kernel!
    -
    can't load '/kernel'
    can't load '/kernel.old'

And its stuck in the boot loader.

Has anyone ran into this before?

• 2.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 06-02-2009 07:27
    Sounds like deleted file in root fs or corrupt flash. Best to make it a J-tac case!

• 3.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 06-02-2009 09:38

Hi

Or if you had the chance to make a (previous) snapshoot on a USB key try to boot from it.

There is no install media to "repair" an EX switch on Juniper's Web site.

I am curious if Juniper provide some advices to repair you equipment !

hth

• 4.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 09-30-2009 19:24

How did you get on?

I too had this issue today. I powered off (removed power cable) the master switch in a 2 switch stack to test failover. The switch got stuck on boot loader with this message.

Power recycing the switch fixed it though.

• 5.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 10-12-2009 21:43

I had this happen to a few EX4200 from factory.  Place the image on a USB flash drive, reboot the switch and interrupt the boot process.  From the "loader>" prompt type "install file:///<name_of_image.tgz".

This should install and put you at a login prompt.

• 6.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 03-31-2011 05:51

Hi,

I have the same problem with ex 4200 , Could you solve this problem ?

Please tell me how resolve this.

Thanks

• 7.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 04-07-2011 13:46

1-get a flash & fromt it then put junos.tgz copy on it ( without creating flodres)

For Format : Use FAT if USB  size is less than equal to 2GB or FAT32 if USB is greater than or equal to 4 GB.

2-insert the flash into the device at one of the USB ports

3-Reboot the device , When junos is coming up , you will see the message :  " HIt  Space to to  abort autoboot "

Hit space , you will be at loader mode , the prompt should be   "loader>"  

4-If the prompt is  " > "  , type ">boot"  to make it "loader>"

5-  Type the command :

loader>  install   file:///jinstall-ex-3200-10.0S1.1-domestic-signed.tgz  ( or depending on your version  you put on the flash)

Now the Jnos will be installed & come up normally again

**************  Click on the button saying " Accept  as Solution"  if  My Post solved your problem  **************

• 8.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 06-02-2011 21:55

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB20643&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1307076738879#

try kb20643 link above - you can recover the flash from usb install ffile or a tft server

• 9.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 07-06-2011 11:38

Reinstall from USB works, usually on first time, and its really convinient too.

Expect boot loader hang up after a power outage and look for it on reboots..I'm just saying..

• 10.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 03-11-2013 03:18

I've tried it several times, installing from USB and it does not work!  I did it also 3 years ago with the same usb-stick and that worked fine. 

I used a USB-stich 1g formatted in FAT.

• 11.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 03-14-2013 19:45

Couple things.

1) Make sure the USB drive is inserted before attempting to reboot / power it up.  Some things are only looked for one time during the startup initialization.  It's possible that the USB drive is only looked for when it first tries to boot and is the only time it would be mounted.

2) If this is a Sandisk flash drive, make sure that it is not a U3-enabled flash drive.  If it is, you need to download the utility from Sandisk to remove the U3 portion (see U3 Launchpad Removal Tool - U3 - SanDisk).

The U3 thing has bitten me multiple times.  It persists through a reformat and a repartition and wreaks havoc when trying to use it as a boot device.

Oh, and if you are successfully booting the install image from the USB flash drive but it is failing to install, then the flash on the switch has a problem. You'll need to open a JTAC case.

-Chad

• 12.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 06-27-2013 14:43

Ran into this with an SRX650, turns out the compact flash was no longer able to be read/written from/to and the routing engine had to be replaced by JTAC.  Every time we would attempt to reinstall the JUNOS image it would fail and say CF Time Out Busy" and then say cannot load kernel like yours did, then it would automatically reboot and go through it all over again.  Once the Routing Engine was replaced we had no problems.

• 13.  RE: EX4200 failed to boot, stuck at boot loader

Posted 03-15-2013 18:50
    If you deal with a lot of juniper gear, you'll save a lot of time and headaches by setting a FTP server on a device you can readily access. I have a Ubuntu VM on my laptop I use for this that I keep all my current running junos versions on.