Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Efficient VRRP Configuration Recommendation

Posted 03-07-2016 09:47

Hello,

I'm at the last part of my lab testing before migrating our cisco infrastructure to juniper. I'm hoping if someone could provide some insight and recommendation for our infrastructure need.

Switch Model (EX4300 Version 14.1X53-D30.3)

Requirement: Active - Passive setup in the event L3-SW1 goes down L3-SW2 can provide routing capability in event of failure. At this time, we are just tryng to add high availability to the network as we current have a SPOF and may add more complexity to the configuration down the line. 

All L3 Core Switches will be connected via LACP (two gig interfaces)

We roughly have 24 VLANs in production. Currently, I'm only testing with two vlans using IRB in my lab for brevity. Is it recommended to put all 24 in one VRRP group? Or should I create a group for each VLAN. 

Any recommendation and sample configuration is highly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Curtis

• 2.  RE: Efficient VRRP Configuration Recommendation
    Best Answer

Posted 03-07-2016 11:39

If I remember correctly, even if you use the same vrrp group number, if you are configuring interfaces that are in different networks (i.e. VLANs or broadcast domains) the vrrp instances are still distinct in that they operate independantly and will send a VRRP message for every interface.

If you want to limit the amount of VRRP protocol traffic, you may want to look into the 'vrrp-inheret-from' config statement.  That ties all of the vrrp groups together.  Keep in mind if  you do that you can't do any load balancing, i.e. you can't have some subset of VLAN gateways active on one switch, and the others active on another switch.  With the inherit-from you could I think break out two broad groups so you'd have two (effective) vrrp groups, one composed of hald the VLANs active on one switch, and the other group of VLANs active on another switch.