Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Four member virtual-chassis -

Posted 08-22-2011 06:17
      |   view attached

Hello I have a four member Virtual-chassis ,One swicth  quit VC member spontaneously,

And  Its tell me 
    {linecard:2}root@Kat3> show chassis environment    

error: the chassis-control subsystem is not running 

What can be problem ?

version 10.4R1.9

I try this comand , request virtual-chassis reactivate  and its avaible now,

But I want to learnthe issue,

Thanks advance.

Attachment(s)

txt
    logs.txt   55 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Four member virtual-chassis -

Posted 08-23-2011 10:34

There could be many different things going on here: 

1. Physical hw problem

2. Corrupted VC configuration 

3. Bug with a particular feature.

The logs don't reveal the root cause, except both PFEM and VCCPD both core restarted. I do see sflow errors which may or may not be an issue here. 

Next steps: 

1. If the problem keeps happening then try removing different features you are using ( I see sflow errors, so you could try that first). 

2. If the problem happens on the member every time, then you can wipe out this device clean by doing the following: 

a. delete all the config (delete from the top), set the root password and commit.

b. Remove VCP cables.

c. Go to the shell and cd to /config/vchassis  and rm *.* (if a tmp dir there then cd to it and rm *.* there too) ( you need to be root).

d. reboot the device (should come up as RE member0.

e. attach the vcp cables and should attach to the vc and download the config. 

3. If above doesn't fix then RMA the member. 

Wade

• 3.  RE: Four member virtual-chassis -

Posted 08-24-2011 01:07

Hello,

The problem was repeated two times today,VC Configuration is running correctyly because , other three switch has a same config , This member  sending  error, I think this is Hardware issue or bug,

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Four member virtual-chassis -
    Best Answer

Posted 08-24-2011 08:06
    In either case you should open a JTAC case. But look into the release note for any possible related issues under the EX section.