Switching

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?

Posted 03-06-2014 13:28

Can anyone shed some light on this little EX2200-C that wont give up its virtual chassis configuration? I've tried deleting files in /config/vchassis/*.* I've tried loading factory default configuration, I've tried reqeuest system zeroize etc.

{master:0}

root> show version

fpc0:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model: ex2200-c-12p-2g

JUNOS Base OS boot [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Online Documentation [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Enterprise Software Suite [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Enterprise Software Suite [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Routing Software Suite [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS Web Management [12.3R3.4]

JUNOS FIPS mode utilities [12.3R3.4]

{master:0} root> show virtual-chassis

Virtual Chassis ID: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Virtual Chassis Mode: Enabled

Mstr           Mixed Neighbor List

Member ID  Status   Serial No    Model     prio  Role      Mode ID  Interface

0 (FPC 0)  Prsnt    GRxxxxxxxxxx ex2200-c-12p-2g 128 Master* NA

Member ID for next new member: 1 (FPC 1)

Surely there is a way to disable the virtual chassis mode?

• 2.  RE: How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?

Posted 03-06-2014 14:23

once the switch has been in a virtual chassis, you cannot remove that display.

>show virtual-chassis vc-port

If they are enabled, then disable them. The switch will continue to function in standalone mode without any problems.

> request virtual-chassis vc-port set interface vcp-0 disable
    > request virtual-chassis vc-port set interface vcp-1 disable

or whatever the slot location is. I know it is different for 2200, they use a converted uplink port.

• 3.  RE: How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?

Posted 03-06-2014 14:45

Hi lyndidon,

I have removed virtual chassis configuration completely from EX4200 switches in previous versions of JunOS (10.x and maybe 11.x) however this is one of my first 12.x switches (and one of my first EX2200-C).  I cannot understand why not being able to fully disable VC would be a feature?

root@ND246> show virtual-chassis vc-port

fpc0:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@ND246>

• 4.  RE: How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?

Posted 03-06-2014 14:48

The switch will continue to function in standalone mode without any problems.

• 5.  RE: How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?

Posted 03-06-2014 15:03

I'm just concerned that other sysadmins wont be aware and they'll freak out when they see messages like:

root@ND246> request system power-off

warning: This command will halt all the members.

If planning to halt only one member use the member option

Power Off the system ? [yes,no] (no) yes

Shutdown at Fri Jun 14 15:29:34 2013.

[pid 1413]

root@ND246>

• 6.  RE: How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?

Posted 03-10-2014 06:35

You will just have to explain to them. There is another statement about it, but I don't have it available; maybe I will google it later. It is a required feature for the selection of the master in the event of a that a tie breaker is required.

"All switches that are interconnected in a Virtual Chassis configuration are member switches of that Virtual Chassis. Each Virtual Chassis configuration has one member that functions as the master and controls the Virtual Chassis configuration.

When a Virtual Chassis configuration boots, the Juniper Networks Junos operating system (Junos OS) on the switches automatically runs a master election algorithm to determine which member switch assumes the role of master.

The algorithm proceeds from the top condition downward until the stated condition is satisfied:

1. Choose the member with the highest user-configured mastership priority (255 is the highest possible value). A switch with a mastership priority of 0 will always stay in the linecard role.
    2. Choose the member that was master the last time the Virtual Chassis configuration booted.
    3. Choose the member that has been included in the Virtual Chassis configuration for the longest period of time. (For this to be a deciding factor, there has to be a minimum time lapse of 1 minute between the power-ons of the individual interconnected member switches.)
    4. Choose the member with the lowest MAC address...."

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.3/topics/concept/virtual-chassis-ex4200-master-switch-election.html

• 7.  RE: How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?
    Best Answer

Posted 03-10-2014 05:30

Hi,

Every EX series switch (that supports VC) will run VC irrespective of the config. And treats itself as the master with a member id of 0 (unless it is modified thru config or by a master in VC). 

So, when you gave the command "show virtual-chassis status", it will display its own details everytime

Please "Accept as solution" if you are satisfied.

Best Regards,

Pavan

JNCIP-ENT

• 8.  RE: How to remove VC configuration from EX2200-C?

Posted 03-10-2014 13:50

Hi Pavan,

Has this always been the behavior in Junos, or is it new as of 12.3 ?

Cheers,