Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Interface Speed Issue

Posted 02-10-2013 10:09

Hey experts,, I had very strange issue few days earlier . Actually one of my friend in fellow department connected to ex4200 48t switch . He access network hosted on some server at server farm. He approached with complaints that he can view contents of network drive but while copying files to network from his PC or USB inordinate delay is being faced. I got discuss the issue with an expert he advised me to set the link speed of interface to 100m , I followed him and surprisingly issue got resolved,  Can some one explain what phenomena is behind this

• 2.  RE: Interface Speed Issue
    Best Answer

Posted 02-10-2013 11:51

Hard to answer without knowing what the interface statistics showed. But one thought would be that the device you were connecting to had it's interface hard coded to 100M Full. If your switch port is set to autonegotiate and you connect to a device running a fixed setting you end up running half duplex and your collision rate will be very high.

• 3.  RE: Interface Speed Issue

Posted 02-25-2013 21:07

Yep.  Long ago when 100 Mbps was still new and shiny there were idiosyncracies with auto-negotiate.  Due to that it was considered best practice for many years, particularly on network gear, to hard code both ends of a link.

In the 1 Gbps world that is no longer true.  Auto-negotiate was in the standard from the very beginning.  Even hard-coding a port to 1 Gbps doesn't actually hard code the part, it simply changes the options available during the negotiation phase to only list 1 Gbps as a valid option.

The problem is when the network layer is upgraded but the servers are still locked to 100 Mbps/full duplex.  Even if the NIC is 1 Gbps capable, because it was explicitly locked to 100 Mbps it will not take advantage of it.  Because it doesn't negotiate with the switch to determine optimal capabilities on both sides, all the switch can determine is that there is a 100 Mbps carrier signal but has no other information on the capabilities of the other side.  It assumes that it is a half-duplex link without any flow control options.  If the other side is coded for full duplex, you wind up with a duplex mismatch.  Every time the switch is sending something and the server sends something back at the same time, the switch believes that is a problem since it shouldn't happen on a half duplex connection.  It stops transmitting that frame, waits for the server to stop transmitting and free up the line, then starts transmitting again.

The moral of all this?  Convince the admins to stop hard coding the server ports.  It hasn't been a good idea for several years but the habit has been hard to kill.

Cheers!

-Chad