Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Is a license needed to enable a Virtual Chassis on an EX4200?

Posted 09-06-2011 12:20
      |   view attached

I am using the Juniper WW Partner Configurator & Quote Tool to configure an EX4200 switch.  One of the messages displayed says "If you are deploying EX4200 units as a Virtual Chassis, only two Advanced Feature Licenses are required for up to ten units".  While I am new to Junipers product line, I do not recall seeing anything that states I need to get a license to enable a Virtual Chassis.  Is a license needed to enable a Virtual Chassis on an EX4200?

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Is a license needed to enable a Virtual Chassis on an EX4200?

Posted 09-06-2011 12:59

No, you don't need a license for the Virtual Chassis feature. That message is stating that if you have a virtual chassis of 10 switches, you only need the Advanced Feature License for two of the members (master and backup REs) instead of having a license for each member of the VC.

It's really a cost saving feature.

• 3.  RE: Is a license needed to enable a Virtual Chassis on an EX4200?

Posted 09-06-2011 13:45

Ah, it makes sense now.  Thanx.

• 4.  RE: Is a license needed to enable a Virtual Chassis on an EX4200?
    Best Answer

Posted 09-06-2011 13:08

You should not need a license for VC unless you are running 'advanced features' on the VC itself.

See http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.2/topics/concept/ex-series-software-licenses-overview.html

for examples.