Switching

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  LACP problem

Posted 01-30-2013 21:12

Hi,

I am using Ex-3200 switch at one end and Ex-4200 , i have configured Layer 3 LACP protocol etherchannel on both EX switches with following configurations

SW# 01  Ex-3200

set interfaces ae0 description " Connected to SW2 "
    set interfaces ae0 aggregated-ether-options lacp active
    set interfaces ae0 unit 0 family inet address 1.1.1.1/30

set interfaces ge-0/0/22 ether-options 802.3ad ae0 // ISP-1

set interfaces ge-0/0/23 ether-options 802.3ad ae0 //ISP -2

set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count 3

SW# 02 Ex-4200

set interfaces ae0 description " Connected to SW1 "
    set interfaces ae0 aggregated-ether-options lacp active
    set interfaces ae0 unit 0 family inet address 1.1.1.2/30

set interfaces ge-0/0/46 ether-options 802.3ad ae0  //ISP-1

set interfaces ge-0/0/47 ether-options 802.3ad ae0 //ISP-2

set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count 3

But our ae0 interface is shows down and at this time interface whcih is menber of this ae0 is also shows down.

Please guide us how to resolve this issue.Thanks

• 2.  RE: LACP problem

Posted 02-04-2013 22:05

Hi Bilal,

I notice you're using an EX3200 - make sure you don't have connections on both the copper and fibre interfaces of the last four ports - you can only use one or the other - if you have an expansion module installed and optics, it will disable the copper ports ge-0/0/19-ge-0/0/23.

Cheers

• 3.  RE: LACP problem

Posted 02-09-2013 07:49

The problem is lacp mode , you have made active mode on both switches ,, for LACP to work one side must be Active and other side must be passive ..

set ae0 aggregated-ether-option lacp passive

they try this command to confirm that LACP is working and ae0 is up

show interfaces extensive ae0.0 | find "LACP Statistics"  .

Counter under LACP RX and LACP TX is evidence that all is well.

LACP exchanges are made between actors and partners. An actor is the local interface in an LACP exchange. A
    partner is the remote interface in an LACP exchange.  The LACP mode can be active or passive. If the actor and partner are both in passive mode, they do not exchange LACP packets, which results in the aggregated Ethernet links not coming up. If either the actor or partner is active, they do exchange LACP packets. By default, when LACP is configured its mode defaults to the passive mode on aggregated Ethernet interfaces. To initiate transmission of LACP packets and response to LACP packets, you must enable LACP active mode. (Ref JNCIS-Ent Study Guide for Switching Page 114)

Mark this as accepted solution if it works.

A Kudos is always welcomed

• 4.  RE: LACP problem

Posted 02-09-2013 09:57

Kashif - sorry - I must disagree - Juniper switches will run just fine if both are in a active / active state. You are correct that at least one switch must be active, but they both can be active and there are no issues.

• 5.  RE: LACP problem

Posted 02-09-2013 12:44

Hey Bilal,

I think LACP is an indicator of the/a problem rather than causing it. The only invalid end-to-end LACP configuration would be to have both sides in passive mode, which would break communication because neither side will initiate LACP packets.

In other words, Active/Passive distinction in LACP is about initiating the connection, so you can have both sides in Active mode freely.

I'm more concerned about your statement that the member interfaces are down and would suggest you focus on troubleshooting them (show interface extensive ge-x/x/x, for instance) and bring the connection UP before enabling fault detection mechanisms like LACP.

Cheers,

• 6.  RE: LACP problem

Posted 02-09-2013 21:41

Hey Kevin:: Thanks for reply.. You have made my mind bit more clear about LACP operation. That's why are on forum to share our knowledge and further refine it. I actually did not read the last statement from Bilal that member interfaces or ae0 are also down.. Bilal must focus to trace down issue with physical interfaces (member of ae0) There may be certain reasons ,1- interfaces are disabled by admin 2.  If 2nd PIC is installed and SFP are inserted and in use then respective copper interface will not be available for operation

Please mark this as accepted solution if it works, A Kudos is alwayes Welcomed

• 7.  RE: LACP problem

Posted 02-19-2013 18:15

You seem to be implying that the physical interfaces are down? Am I correct? If the physical are down, then the LAG will be down. But not enough info to go on. What does the output of show int <ae? and ge-???> extensive show?