Switching

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP

Posted 01-03-2012 22:15

Hi Experts

I have two core Juniper switches EX-8208 and manay access switches EX-4200. Through LLDP neighbour command I am able to get couple of information regarding neighbour switches but the outpu is not showing any IP of the neighbouring switch. Although there is one MGT VLAN is there on all switches and every switch has on IP on that MGT VLAN.

Can any body tell me what is the problem?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP

Posted 01-05-2012 00:16

Hi

Is there any one?

• 3.  RE: LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP
    Best Answer

Posted 01-07-2012 10:45

In order to see the ip addresses in lldp, you have to configure lldp to advertise the management-address you want, like so:

[edit protocols lldp]
    user@switch# set management-address 192.168.0.1

It's buried in the documentation:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.1/topics/task/configuration/802-1x-lldp-cli.html

Then use "show lldp neighbor interface <whatever>" to view the neigbor's ip address.

Hope that helps,

Tim

• 4.  RE: LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP

Posted 01-07-2012 10:48

Thanks Dear. Really appreciated your help.

• 5.  RE: LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP

Posted 02-18-2013 07:47

Yikes!  Not having the IP address advertised by LLDP by default makes doing a network discovery/documentation/troubleshooting very difficult.  Smiley Frustrated

• 6.  RE: LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP

Posted 02-18-2013 08:26
      |   view attached

Have you also turned on LLDP-MED?

EX-series switches use Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) and Link Layer Discovery
    Protocol Media Endpoint Discovery (LLDP-MED) to learn and distribute device
    information on network links. The information allows the switch to quickly identify
    a variety of devices, resulting in a LAN that interoperates smoothly and efficiently.
    LLDP-capable devices transmit information in Type Length Value (TLV) messages to
    neighbor devices. Device information can include specifics, such as chassis and port
    identification and system name and system capabilities. The TLVs leverage this
    information from parameters that have already been configured in the JUNOS
    software.
    LLDP-MED goes one step further, exchanging IP-telephony messages between the
    switch and the IP telephone. These TLV messages provide detailed information on
    PoE policy. The PoE Management TLVs let the switch ports advertise the power level
    and power priority needed. For example, the switch can compare the power needed
    by an IP telephone running on a PoE interface with available resources. If the switch
    cannot meet the resources required by the IP telephone, the switch could negotiate
    with the telephone until a compromise on power is reached.

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.3/topics/concept/802-1x-lldp-lldp-med-understanding.pdf

I hope this helps a little bit.

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP

Posted 07-27-2014 23:59

Shall i use access switches management vlan ip for  LLDP Management ip?

@tbrown wrote:

In order to see the ip addresses in lldp, you have to configure lldp to advertise the management-address you want, like so:

[edit protocols lldp]
    user@switch# set management-address 192.168.0.1

It's buried in the documentation:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.1/topics/task/configuration/802-1x-lldp-cli.html

Then use "show lldp neighbor interface <whatever>" to view the neigbor's ip address.

Hope that helps,

Tim

• 8.  RE: LLDP is not showing the neighbour switch IP

Posted 07-28-2014 00:35

You should use whatever makes sense for you to identify the switch.

If for instance, you use IP 1.1.1.1 to ssh/telnet to this switch and you also have this IP in DNS, then use this IP.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.