Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Layer 2 Uplink and VLAN

Posted 05-03-2013 19:59

Hi,

I'm using J-WEB to configure a port as Layer 2 Uplink. I have 2 VLANs created on the switch as well, the default VLAN is also there.

When I assign "Layer 2 Uplink" to a port, all VLANs are becoming a member of that port automatically. How can I avoid this?

Or is this normal?

What if I configure the port as trunk ports and add default VLAN?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Layer 2 Uplink and VLAN

Posted 05-06-2013 00:17

Hi,

What do you wanna achieve ? Better said what do you need on the "uplink" port. Is the other side configured as trunk what vlans are on the trunk ? or as an access port ?

• 3.  RE: Layer 2 Uplink and VLAN

Posted 05-06-2013 14:01

Marc,

I currently have an EX-2200-C and I'm trying to replace it with EX-3300.

I have redundant firewall setup (Pfsense CARP). My current setup is as follow:

port 2 and 3 on the EX-2200 are configured as "Layer 2 Uplink". port 2 is going to Master firewall and port 3 to Slave firewall. My ISP is connected to port 4 and also configured as "Layer 2 uplink". All using default VLAN.

The above setup works just fine.

As mentioned, I want to replace EX-2200 with EX-3300 (Virtual chassis) to have redundancy on the switch side as well and I want to configure VLANs for some other stuff on the EX300.

So I created VLAN 110 in the EX-3300 and then decided to configure the switch same as ex-2200. I used J-WEB and I went to interface, ports and set 3 ports to "Layer 2 Uplink" (same as the ex2200) but each time I do that, the ports are  member of VLAN 110 and they shouldn't. I want then to be part of default VLAN. I was told by the Pfsense team that the ports should be configure as Layer 2 uplink and as I said, each time I do that, every single VLANs are being assigned to those ports.

I hope that this is clear.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Layer 2 Uplink and VLAN
    Best Answer

Posted 05-06-2013 23:34

That is surprising. I thought you had to click to add vlan? Try a different browser, say Chrome if you are using firefox or IE. I suspect that is automatic if you selct UPlink, the system assumes that trunk port should carry the configured vlans. Then you can later remove them. What version of the software are you running? And is there a newer version of the JWEB software? I raraely evr use the JWEB, only to look for a feature location, so that is why the questions and no solutions from me. If you must, in the meantime use the cli or contact JTAC.

• 5.  RE: Layer 2 Uplink and VLAN

Posted 05-07-2013 07:13

Hi,

Thanks. I was using JUNOS 11 and then upgraded to 12.3. I tried IE, Firefox and Chrome and all three behaved the same.

The workaround as you also pointed out is to first configure a port as Layer 2 Uplink and then go to each VLAN and remove the port. So if you have 100 VLANs, on JWEB, you have to remove the port from each VLAN manually.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Layer 2 Uplink and VLAN

Posted 05-07-2013 08:29

awesome. I kind of suspected, that it was probably included in the GI to appease those who may be used to a certain vendor automatically carrying all vlans on a trunk port and then you manually remove the ones you don't need. Or it could be an oversight by the developers for the webgui. I can't tell. Maybe a JTAC tch may comment on it later.