Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Link aggregation (difference between active and passive)

Posted 11-29-2013 07:10

Hi

We have aggregated ports on an a swith1  (EX4200) to switch 2 (EX 2200).

I would like to know the impact if both link on both switches are in "lacp" active mode ?  ( set interfaces ge-x/x/x ether-options lacp active)

I would like to know if it is preferable to have the switch 1 ( EX 4200) in lacp active mode and the switch 2 (ex2200) in lacp passive mode.

The problem is that When I do this (active on one switch and passive on the other)  it does not seem to work.

should I do the config than turn both switches off and on for the config to take place.

Pleae help with simple explanation and the proper way you think I should do

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Link aggregation (difference between active and passive)
    Best Answer

Posted 11-29-2013 10:09
      |   view attached

LACP basically provides link protection / monitoring functionality to LAG. Suppose if we have configured LAG on one side and on other side no LAG is configured , in this situation LAG on our side status will be up, this may cause to  communication break down  if other side single link becomes not functional. To avoid such situation LACP is used , when LACP is enabled on aggregated link , it will only goes to up state when both sides exchanges LACP PDUs on LAG. Now coming to LACP mode, it can be active or passive, but for LAG to be functional at least one side must be configured with active (by default when configured LACP its mode is passive).  Active member sends LACP PDUs to passive member ever one second and passive member also responds by sending PDUs. Now if both members are in active mode then they both will actively transmit LACP PDUs and other side will respond.  View the attachment for guidelines about LACP and LAG monitoring and trouble shooting.

Please mark this as accepted solution if it works for you

A Kudos is a good way of appreciation

Kashif Nawaz

JNCIP-Sec, JNCIS-Ent,JNCIS-Sec,JNCIA-JUNOS

Attachment(s)

pdf
    LACP.pdf   133 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Link aggregation (difference between active and passive)

Posted 12-06-2013 02:55

Sorry for the delay.

Thank s very much for your confirmation

• 4.  RE: Link aggregation (difference between active and passive)

Posted 12-05-2013 16:39

You can do active / active with no issues. In manys it is "easier" as you can set that up as part of a standard config template.