Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  MSTP configuration changes for each new VLAN added/deleted

Posted 11-23-2011 00:10

Hi Experts

I just want to know. I configured the MSTP on all access and core switches. Now If I need to add one new VLAN say on access switch "A" then every time addition of new VLAN or deletion of existing VLAN, I need to change the MSTP instances configurations on all switches?

Kindly confirm

Thanks

• 2.  RE: MSTP configuration changes for each new VLAN added/deleted
    Best Answer

Posted 11-23-2011 00:28

If you don't configure the newly created Vlan into any MST instance then by default it will reside in CIST instance (MSTI 0) and in this case there's no need to configure anything, only to create the aforementioned Vlan. 

If you add this Vlan to any MSTIx then you'll have to do the same on all switches in the same MSTP domain otherwise you risc fragmentation of MSTP domain into multiple subdomains, it happens because if the MSTI-to-Vlan mapping won't be the same on all switches they'll fail to join the same MSTP domain(MSTI-to-Vlan hash won't be equal) and you risc having unpredictable behavior... still no loops will be formemed even in this case.

I'm not a huge fan of MSTP because it's a big burden to add Vlans to MSTI on each switch. Each time you add a Vlan the switch will exit the MSTP domain and it's harmfull sometimes for TDMoIP traffic etc, that's the reason IMHO it makes sens to map to MSTP instances only those Vlans that requires special handlings like load balancing basend on STP...

• 3.  RE: MSTP configuration changes for each new VLAN added/deleted

Posted 11-23-2011 20:56

Thanks dear