Switching

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Master RE , Back UP RE and Synchronization in Virtual chasis mode

Posted 07-15-2017 16:47

Hi everybody,

1)Let say we have two EX4200 switches as master RE and back up RE in a virtual chasis mode, we make some configuration changes on master and simly commit it ( we do not use commit synchronize option), will the change still be propagated to back up RE? Is there any minimum interval or it happens right away as we make configuration changes to Master RE?

2)  Is it required all CONFIGURATION CHANGES be entered via MASTER RE i.e we can not go to a member switch and try to make configuration changes there ?  

Thanks and have a nice weekend!!

• 2.  RE: Master RE , Back UP RE and Synchronization in Virtual chasis mode
    Best Answer

Posted 07-15-2017 16:54

I think the answer to #1 is basically yes Master and Backup will eventually sync, whether that is milliseconds or seconds, I think it would depend upon what Master RE is doing at that time.  At the same time, why even consider this situation.  Just add the extra 1 line in the configuration and follow best practice recommendation.  if you ever encounter an issue in this area without commit sync set, I assume the answer would be set commit sync and see what then happens.

As for #2, yes only on the Master.