Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Max number of switches in ERP ring

Posted 11-20-2015 23:34

Hi All,

What is the maximum number of switches allowed in an ERP ring? we have 8 swiches in aring currently and we want to add more if possible.

If adding more is not possible, what other options do we have? is there something like multiple ring instances on the same nodes?

Sheeel.

• 2.  RE: Max number of switches in ERP ring

Posted 11-22-2015 10:59
    Hi,

The total number of ERPS and VSTP or MSTP instances is limited to 253

Source: http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos15.1/topics/task/configuration/ethernet-ring-protection-cli.html

• 3.  RE: Max number of switches in ERP ring

Posted 11-22-2015 19:29
    Hi Abed,

Thanks for the feedback. Any idea how many physical switches that can go in one ring? In the juniper docs it says the min number of switches to form ERP ring is 3 but I didn't see the max number indicated anywhere.

Thanks,
    Lish.

• 4.  RE: Max number of switches in ERP ring

Posted 11-23-2015 10:45
    Hi,

what kind of EX you're using ? 2200 / 4300 / .... ?

• 5.  RE: Max number of switches in ERP ring

Posted 11-23-2015 10:48
    2200-c

• 6.  RE: Max number of switches in ERP ring

Posted 11-23-2015 11:00
    Hi,

As much as I understood from consultation and research on EX4300 switches they can support at 4 switches in one ring . Still not sure . I'll do another deep research on both EX4300 and EX2200-C and let you know .

• 7.  RE: Max number of switches in ERP ring

Posted 12-02-2015 04:00

Hi,

There is no such documentation that counts the max number of switches in ERPS ring .

Max number of the switches that can be connected to the ERPS ring depends upon the design of the network.

Refered this question to experts and they refer to some topologies they used 10 switches on a ERP ring . So, it only depends on your network design (e.g. number of clients, routes ..)

If you still haven't try to connect the 8 switches , I suggest you go for it and try .

HTH

• 8.  RE: Max number of switches in ERP ring
    Best Answer

Posted 12-08-2015 01:55

For optimal performance, use minimum nodes of 3 and max 16 in a single ring topology.