Switching

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960

Posted 01-09-2015 07:27

Hello , people as title says:

I m currently receiving tagged traffic over a trunk interface as shown in picture:

vlan_bridges.png

This lan segment is tagged with vlan4 and using my irb.4 interface as gw.

Now I need to receive other vlan segment but this time tagged with vlan5 and re-use the existing irb.4 gw

Is that possible ?

How can I declare vlan 4 , vlan5 and irb.4 on the same bridge-domain?

When I tryed to add the statement "vlan-id 5" it replaces the "vlan-id 4" previously setted.

Sumarizing:

My goal is to reach same irb.4 gw (172.26.1.254) from two different incomming vlans.

thanks.

Leandro.

• 2.  RE: Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960

Posted 01-09-2015 07:54

Why?  What is your real reason or requirment.  If using the same GW then this is the same subnet, which therefore [generally] means the same VLAN.  No idea what the real requirment need is, which might be solved some other way, like private VLAN maybe?

• 3.  RE: Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960

Posted 01-09-2015 10:48

Yes, this is possible, but you need to configure your interface in MX-style, not EX-style, and it's called VLAN normalization:

interfaces {
        ge-0/0/0 {
            flexible-vlan-tagging;
            encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
            unit 4 {
                vlan-id 4;
            }
            unit 5 {
                vlan-id 5;
            }
        }
    }
    bridge-domains {
        normalize-vlans {
            domain-type bridge;
            vlan-id 4;
            interface ge-0/0/0.4;
            interface ge-0/0/0.5;
            routing-interface irb.4;
        }
    }

This is what we do for a connection to a transport provider that feeds us ADSL users over separate VLANs, but we want them to all be bridged onto the same broadcast domain (bridge-domain).  I haven't tested out the above configuration and if for some reason you cannot use vlan-id 4 on the bridge-domain if it's already in use on the interface, just change your vlan-id on the bridge domain to something that's not in use already.

• 4.  RE: Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960

Posted 01-13-2015 04:56

It is an interesting idea;

Did you tested it ? Im currently  testing some work-around for it.

It will come to yo if I can test your lines.

Thanks!

LEo.

• 5.  RE: Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960

Posted 01-13-2015 05:01

Let me be clear - the part I did not "test" was the assignment of the bridge-domain VLAN as 'vlan-id 4' with a logical unit that has the same vlan-id.  This is why I said if it does not work, just configure an unused vlan-id on the bridge-domain.  The concept as a whole does work - we use it in production for bridged ADSL customers who are transported across a provider's network and connect to us on separate VLANs.  All the ADSL users share a common broadcast domain and subsequently, a common IP subnet.

• 6.  RE: Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960

Posted 01-13-2015 05:41

Hello , evt: What do you mean with "MX-style, not EX-style" , how do I change it ?

Regards,

Leandro.

• 7.  RE: Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960
    Best Answer

Posted 01-13-2015 05:47

I believe the real terms that Juniper has used in the past are 'Enterprise style' and 'Service Provider style'.  'EX-style', or 'Enterprise style', means that trunk configuration is done the way you currently have it - a port is configured as 'interface-mode trunk' and 'vlan members' are configured on it. 

'MX-style', or 'Service Provider style' is configured the way I've specified - each VLAN is configured on its own separate logical-unit.

There are just more options available for VLAN manipulation when using SP-style, as well as other functionality that you don't get when using Enterprise configuration style.

• 8.  RE: Multiple VLANS on simple Bridge Domain on MX960

Posted 01-13-2015 04:49

It is the question I was waitting for.
    The problem is that I facing a Cheenese non administrable (for me) switch that is already configured. I can not change that it sends tagged frames over a trunking interface.
    Thanks for your help.

Leandro.