Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Over 10km connectivity query

Posted 02-11-2016 14:02

A major project to migrate to new Datacentres within the next 12-14 months has started, as part of it there are 9 x 1Gb links which are currently under 10km to become greater than 10km in distance.  There will also be 10Gb links but Juniper at least has 10Gb 40km & 70km SFP's available.

I have found out that Juniper don't make 1Gb SFP's greater than 10km, what would be a recommended third party SFP solution?  The other issue is that I have mixed Cisco/Juniper switching and in my reading the Cisco 1Gb SFP's(1000BASE-EX) require a 5db inline optical attenuator at each end which I will have some of but the other end of the link could be a Juniper switching solution, still waiting on quotes however as price in this case will determine the switching solution for the new primary datacentre it is still not fully determined. 

If Juniper does come out as most cost effective, one option was to run a VC across the fibre to the secondary DC as well as our head office as all three sites will have redundant geographically diverse fibre paths. Is there any gotcha's about running a VC across WAN links, currently my VC's are all local to the rack but if I do this then I can look at reducing spanning tree requirements, hopefully.

The 1Gb links are purely for end site connectivity which is currently in place as I stated but at the moment all distances are less than 10km, in many cases less than 5km.  I don't want to have to put in 10Gb links for an office of 3 people for example.  As I said many of these sites have Cisco switching in place therefore the connectivity between the Cisco & Juniper I am also concerned about being over the 10km mark with the requirements around the inline attenuators on the Cisco end and the lack of Juniper SFP's on the other(well assuming third party certified solutions could be available).

Thanks in advance....

John

• 2.  RE: Over 10km connectivity query

Posted 02-11-2016 15:18

John, #1 you should be having this discussion with your local Juniper partner and/or Juniper account team.  As far as attenuation is concerned, as long as received signal is within specs no attenuation should be needed.  I would expect over distance this should not be a concern.  Also for any standards based optic from any vendor the transmit hotness should also be within spec so that no attenuator is needed.

Not sure which exact Juniper EX (I assume) product you are using but VC across a WAN is fully supported.  Officially needs to have less 100 msec roundtrip delay.  Also generally VCP (VC over Ethernet) is spec'd to be at 10GE, although 1GE often works.  This is an area you should discuss with local folks before you implement.

Not sure how helpful this is to you, but good luck.  I'd start with #1 above if I was in your shoes.

• 3.  RE: Over 10km connectivity query

Posted 02-11-2016 15:36

Hi  icthis

• 4.  RE: Over 10km connectivity query

Posted 03-03-2016 18:16

I finally got further information from pre-sales on this greater than 10km limitation, it is the switch model which is an EX4550 the EX4500 can do 1GB over 10km but not the EX4550 at least on 1GB anyway.

• 5.  RE: Over 10km connectivity query
    Best Answer

Posted 02-11-2016 16:00

With regards to the second part of your question related to the configuration of virtual chassis over long distances the setup you are looking for is referred to as "Extended Virtual Chassis Configuration" . You'll find more details on it here in this virtual chassis best practices guide :

http://forums.juniper.net/jnet/attachments/jnet/switch/9816/1/VC-Bestpractice-guide.pdf

If you are configuring it on an EX 8200 Series switch ( with external route engines ), you'll need this :

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.3/topics/task/configuration/virtual-chassis-ex8200-long-distance-vcp.html