Switching

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Port Mirror Limits on EX-4200

Posted 03-12-2012 07:03

Hi All,

I have a question about port mirror limits on the 4200.  As per the documentation it states you can have a max of one analyzer port ( output port) and up to 256 ingress vlans mirrors but what about physical port mirrors.

I want to mirror X amounts of physical ports and output them to 1 analyzer port.  I cant seem to fine any docs pointing to the limit.  I have configured 3 in the past but I am wondering how high can it take it.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Port Mirror Limits on EX-4200

Posted 03-12-2012 19:28

Just woundering it depends on the traffic rates but not the number of pysical ports.....

however, you may need a lab test for that, or someone did that before... 😛

• 3.  RE: Port Mirror Limits on EX-4200
    Best Answer

Posted 03-15-2012 13:13

You can port mirror all interfaces.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/port-mirroring-cli.html

Here is some additional information. On yor switch issue the following command

help topic forwarding-options port-mirroring

When you configure the port-mirroring, I would configure the number of ports to be mirrored and then issue a commit check. That will tellyou if you can configure more or less.

• 4.  RE: Port Mirror Limits on EX-4200

Posted 08-22-2013 18:45

Hi.

I have a question. If I have a topo like this

Server--------->EX-SW-01----------->EX-SW-02----------EX-SW-03--------->Client

Can we configure span port to catach all traffic from CLient and send it to Server? In this case, we need to configure two interfaces (on EX-SW-02) to belong a same remote VLAN. And this is prevented on EX-SW. So, who has a solution for this case?

• 5.  RE: Port Mirror Limits on EX-4200

Posted 08-22-2013 19:35

Hi ,

If you want to capture traffic from client that is sending to server and the output interface is connected to same switch.

Then we can apply a firewall filter on the ingress direction of the port the client connected to filter traffic that is sending to server then forward it to analyser.

[edit]
    root@vsa# show firewall
    family inet {
        filter hai {
            term 1 {
                from {
                    source-address {
                        192.168.1.1/24;
                    }
                    destination-address {
                        10.1.1.1/24;
                    }
                }
                then {
                    analyzer forum;
                    accept;
                }
            }
        }
    }

[edit]
    root@vsa# show ethernet-switching-options
    analyzer forum {
        output {
            interface {
                ge-0/0/20.0;
            }
        }
    }

I hope this helps.

• 6.  RE: Port Mirror Limits on EX-4200

Posted 03-12-2014 10:48

i really wish we could have more destinations ports. one for IDS and one for troubleshooting  - at least!

• 7.  RE: Port Mirror Limits on EX-4200

Posted 03-12-2014 20:07

You can configure no more than one type of output in one port-mirroring configuration. That is, you can use no more than one of the following to complete a set analyzer name outputstatement:

• interface
    • ip-address
    • vlan

I am not sure if there is any limitations on the number of interfaces that can be in the vlan that you send the traffic to. But you can test it!