Ethernet Switching
Trusted Contributor
Luca

Re: Q in Q - customer ports as trunks?

Just thinking about it and I may not need it after all.... I think I single s-vlan mapping all vlans would work. One other thing, can traffic flow between two c-vlans if they have the same tag? Similar to normal traffic in a normal vlan.... So what would happen if I had two servers which needed to talk to each other and they were both configured as access ports in the same QinQ vlan? Would the communication work? Also? The s-vlan is where the new tag is first added to the Ethernet frame right? Thanks
Contributor
Michael Gonnason

Yes it should work.

But remember, if this is an actual service provider deployment, you wouldn't be talking spanning-tree with a customer so the potential for a loop exsists.

I rarely deliver two of the same circuit to one customer site to prevent loops.

Trusted Contributor
Luca

I'll explain the reason for needing this a bit more....  I look after a public cloud providor, when we get a customer they are assgined a VLAN.  We are starting to run out of VLANs so we need a way to be able to duplicate our VLAN numbers as traffic flows through our core network....  QinQ is the answer.

Since we are totally virtualized the switchports which connect to our virtual servers have a number of VLANs trunked into them, some are for customers and some are for internal use which is why i was curious about assigning multuple S-VLANs to the access ports.

Contributor
Michael Gonnason

Ah, good application for qinq. 

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.