Ethernet Switching
Trusted Expert
Automate

Question for the group: Improving Juniper online support

Hi folks,

I would like to solicit feedback from this group (switching) on what your top 3 things we could do to improve your ability to solve problems using the resources on our web site.(http://www.juniper.net/customers/support/).

Please be as specific as possible - for example "fix the !!#@!$ KB" isn't as useful as "I couldn't find good answers when I searched the KB for LLDP-MED"

Thanks!

-Keith

Contributor
frogmanclay

Re: Question for the group: Improving Juniper online support

One things that kind of gets me is the inconsistency.  As an example, the support main page has a link to search for "Junos Defect Search" and then on the product specific page for the EX4200, the same search is now called a "JUNOS Bug Search".  Two reason why this bothers me.  1. In one place it is a bug, in the other it is a defect.  Decide what it is, and leave it at that.  Everyone I know just calls it a bug.  2. One place it is "Junos" the other it is "JUNOS".  A decision needs to be made on that also, because I see both ways all the time on Juniper documents.  My understanding is that "JUNOS" is an acronym for "Juniper Operating System"  If that is the case, then isn't "JUNOS" the correct way write it?

I truly understand that my example is a minor problem.  But to me, consistency leads to trust, and trust is something that every company needs.

Clay

Trusted Expert
Automate

Thanks Clay,

Excellent points, especially that of trust. The "right" form of Junos is "Junos" - however that form was established as part of our new branding campaign last year. Prior to that, you'd see Junos, JUNOS, JunOS, etc so we adopted the formal brand for exactly that reason.

That said...it then introduces the challenge of what to do about the 1.5 million+ documents already on our website. Short answer is we fix them,  but my army of highly trained cockroaches can only move so fast :smileyhappy:

(Similarly you'll see many parts of the site with brand elements from 2+ years ago - the infamous cartoons and such. Those are also being re-worked. Very busy cockroaches indeed...)

re: Bugs vs PR's vs Defects vs... - we're working on that too. PR means "Problem Report" which I happen to like because it correctly reflects that - when first reported - these "things" can be bugs, can be feature enhancements, can be "working as designed", etc. But..as you point out the common vernacular of  "bug" is pretty clear to everyone. We'll pick one and stick with it :smileyhappy:

-Keith

Contributor
LapTop006

One useful thing would be that for all the secondary domains that point to juniper.net and support.juniper.net (eg neoteris.com) make sure they redirect to juniper.net, not serve as additional authoritative domains which just causes google pollution.

I think this may have now mostly been done, but someone trawling the web server config is still probably worth it.

Contributor
dclarkjr1122

Not directly related to juniper support, but is there a way to influence the Google searches as in "configure ipv6 default route juniper" to goto the tech docs of a recent Juniper code train? Something a little more in Junipers control is maybe have a radio button for the platform that you are on ie. List a Junos button for EX, J & M, then a ScreenOS button. This could be done on the second screen of the search as well. 

Trusted Expert
Automate

That's a great observation and suggestion. We've got over 100 sub-domains and TLD's and they've gotten a little out of control, so our IT department is combing through them now to determine when we should be re-directing vs not (for example we have to preserve services.netscreen.com to support legacy equipment but it should re-direct if referenced directly)

Thx!

-Keith

Trusted Expert
Automate

Another good suggestion. Normally you use a sitemap to influence Google, but the options are limited. There is a "priority" attribute that might be of some help but I can't say for sure. But I will pass this on to our techpubs gurus and see if they can come up with anything.

Our KB search does a little of this - first because we generally only index the last 3-4 versions of the documentation. Second, it's got a "boost" which will prefer the most current version, but this only works when the content is an exact duplicate - we've been making a lot of changes to the documentation from release to release, so this is increasingly rare.

Thx!

-Keith

Contributor
rob@merrittnet.org

I can't seem to connect with actual juniper employees!  I had posted the following question :

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/Getting-all-Macs-on-a-specific-port/m-p/62208/high...

But am unsure how to get the attention of an actual juniper expert , its probably and easy answer for them too.

Distinguished Expert
spuluka

Rob,

Welcome to the forums.  These are the community support forums where fellow users bounce problems or implementations off of each other.  There are a number of Juniper employees that participate here, but this is not the formal avenue for support on real problems or your serious, time sensitive issues.

In short, this is NOT "on-line support" from Juniper.

For those you open a case with JTAC on the support portal.

https://tools.online.juniper.net/cm/case_create_choice.jsp

Steve Puluka BSEET
Juniper Ambassador
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home
Trusted Expert
Automate

Any feedback on the new support portal? We had one hitch Friday where a secondary index page wasn't updated for 10.4, but other than that...it's been very quiet...

...too quiet

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.