Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

RTG - what is it?

• 1.  RTG - what is it?

Posted 02-05-2008 11:59
    Can you explain RTG - redundant trunk group feature. How does it help to overcome STP limitations? Thanks.

regards
    alex

• 2.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 02-10-2008 21:26
    Redundant Trunk Group (RTG) is a feature on the EX switches.  This feature eliminates the need to configure STP on the switch that has RTG configured.  RTG is similar to RSTP Root and Alternate port, but without the need of configuring RSTP.

Ideally implemented on switch with a dual home connection - one link will be active and forwarding traffic and the other is blocking and backup to the active link.

• 3.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 02-24-2008 08:28
    Sounds a lot like Cisco FlexLinks...

• 4.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 04-18-2008 09:54

I've ceen reading some technical documentation about RTG, but after read the 1st one of the two links below, I'm trying to figure out what is the perspective of the two 4200 located in one end of the RTG... As the two 4200 form a Virtual chassis, how it see the RTG, as a virtual layer 2 interface? it's possible to mix different speeds and media in the same RTG?

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/example/cfm-ex-series-redundant-trunk-groups.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/concept/cfm-redundant-trunk-groups-understanding.html

• 5.  RE: RTG - what is it?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-04-2008 05:51
    RTG is configured on a physical interface, not a "virtual" interface.  To the switch, (virtual chassis or not) the secondary interface is "down" until the primary link is lost, then it will be "up". 

• 6.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 03-30-2009 02:44

Hello DN,

Can you tell me the convergence time of RTG ?

• 7.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 03-30-2009 09:11

Hi Syq

I have made some tests in this kind of topology:

________  ge-0/0/0 Main    ________________________ 

ge-0/0/3  |        |-----------------|                        |

Sender Iperf-| EX3200 | ge-0/0/2 Backup |  L2 switch without STP |- Receiver Iperf

|________|-----------------|________________________|

With this precise config on the EX switch ( Iperf sender is 10.0.0.4 and receiver is 10.0.0.3) :

set interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members INTERCO
    set interfaces ge-0/0/2 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members INTERCO
    set interfaces ge-0/0/4 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members INTERCO
    set interfaces vlan unit 0 family inet address 10.0.0.1/29
    set ethernet-switching-options redundant-trunk-group group TEST interface ge-0/0/0.0 primary
    set ethernet-switching-options redundant-trunk-group group TEST interface ge-0/0/2.0
    set vlans INTERCO l3-interface vlan.0

I tested this with Iperf sending 1000 frames per seconds and counting the number of frames lost each time I disconnected the main interface: ge-0/0/0

The results is that I had between 31 ms to 120 ms of frames lost with an average of 76 miliseconds on 7 tries.

Theses are the results of the loss during disconnection on Coper interfaces (synchronised at 100mbps) and I believe it depends on the physical type of interfaces as the time is mainly due to detection of loss of signal.

During the recovery of main interface I mainly saw no loss.

I hope that this will help you

• 8.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 01-04-2010 08:28

Would it be correct to say that RTG needs to be configured between the same chassis whether real or virtual and so it may be as well to configure aggregated interfaces instead of RTG so as to use the available bandwidth?

Regards

Aindriu

• 9.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 01-04-2010 12:29

Hi,

You would rather use aggregated interfaces instead of RTG between only two equipements.

But in case you have switch A connected to switch B and C you can't have a LAG (agregated interface) with two link from A going to two different switches.

In this case RTG is the solution instead of using STP.

|          |--------------------------| Switch B |

| Switch A |                           

|          |--------------------------| Switch C |

I hope this is more clear like that.

• 10.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 01-05-2010 09:15

Thanks Loup2 that makes sense

Aindriu

• 11.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 01-15-2010 14:42

Your logic is correct.

Of course, now JUNOS supports LAG across multiple non-VC switches... not that every implementation would necessarily support it, but those that do can now double their available bandwidth capacity and not lose failover capabilities despite traversing multiple switches.

• 12.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 01-29-2010 11:52

I'm glad I read this.

I'm still a noob when it comes to Juniper so, thank for your patience! 🙂

I've been trying to plan how to successfully integrate spanning-tree to my EX4200 from my Cisco core switches.

But according this, I guess it's not needed.

My question is:

Because my cisco core switches are sending BPDUs through the rest of the cisco network, what will my EX4200 do when those BPDU's come down the active RTG trunk?  Will it flood them unecessarily throughout the rest of the VC?

My cisco is running PVST+ and the native vlan is set to 2 on the trunk in between all switches (including the EX4200).

Do I need to turn spanning-tree off on my EX4200? 

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

• 13.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 02-11-2010 17:14

hi danno,

can you elaborate 'now JUNOS supports LAG across multiple non-VC switches' ? from which version it is implemented?

thks

• 14.  RE: RTG - what is it?

Posted 05-10-2012 20:05

Would you please give a link about "now JUNOS supports LAG across multiple non-VC switches"?
    Thank you.