Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  RVI question on routing

Posted 09-18-2011 18:29

Hi everyone,

Does any one know how to disable routing for RVIs?  Here is my situation.

I need two vlans created on a EX3200T switch, but I need the VLANs each to have a layer 3 interface to support multicast.  If an RVI does not exist in the VLAN Junos blocks multicast traffic.  So I have created two vlans and have assigned each VLAN and RVI.  but I cannot permit the VLAN to route between each other.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Luis

• 2.  RE: RVI question on routing

Posted 09-18-2011 19:07

You could create a firewall policy to block the traffic between the subnets.

• 3.  RE: RVI question on routing
    Best Answer

Posted 09-18-2011 23:56

Hi,

your multicast traffic was probably blocked by igmp-snooping which is enabled by default for all vlans. Disable it for two VLANs where you run mcast traffic (without hosts sending IGMP Membership Reports) and you should be good. If you wanna run L3 mcast protocols like PIM on this switch then you would need L3 address within VLANs. 

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

• 4.  RE: RVI question on routing

Posted 09-20-2011 06:33

If you NEED to have an IP on the VLAN's and youwant the routing to happen upstream ( at a firewall) then have each VLAN in its own Virtual-Router. 

• 5.  RE: RVI question on routing

Posted 09-25-2011 04:33

I would also go for a firewall policy