Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Removing 3 EX4200 from a stack of 5 EX4200

Posted 09-23-2015 11:03

Hello,

I'm about to reduce a stack of 5 switches to 2 switches this weekend and just want to make sure I have my bases covered. Currently the 2 swithces that will remain have roles of Master* and Backup.  Those two switches are connected directly via a stacking cable.

Can anyone review this procedure and let me know if there's anything wrong?

1. Power off switch to be removed: request system halt
    2. Remove stack cables from switch
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for remaining two switches
    4. Re-connect a new stacking cable between remaining switches to complete the stack loop
    5. Submit recycle command for missing three switches: request virtual-chassis recycle member-id <switch-ID>

Last question - right now the master and backup switches that will remain are numbered 0 and 4.  Will switch number 4 become switch number 1, and will I have to reconfigure config appropriately or will that be updated accordingly?  It does not matter if that switch remains "4", it doesn't need to be "1".

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Removing 3 EX4200 from a stack of 5 EX4200
    Best Answer

Posted 09-23-2015 14:49

Hi,

The procedure is sound, just don't pull the wrong cable 🙂

fpc 4 will not become fpc 1 unless you renumber it, this would disrupt traffic forwarding. 

Also now that you have a 2 member virtual chassis you should enable 'no-split-detection' so the last remaining switch will continue to operate in the event of a failure.

see; http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB13879&smlogin=true

Tim

• 3.  RE: Removing 3 EX4200 from a stack of 5 EX4200

Posted 09-23-2015 16:55

Thanks so much!  I've added that as the last thing to do once the stack is re-cabled.