Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Secondhand EX4200 in production environment?

Posted 09-23-2013 01:43

Hello all,

Simple question: would you use a second hand EX4200 in production?

I'm looking at migrating our network to Juniper switches and replacing our netgear switches. I want to move to dual power supplies and so I have to go with EX4200. However, in the UK the cost of a new EX4200 is way to much for my budget so I have to look at the secondhand (US) market. This is far more budget friendly and I've had good success with some secondhand Cisco hardware in the past so I'm hoping the same is true of Juniper.

I would take as many precautions as possible, all configs would be backed up and I'd have a cold spare on the shelf ready to be loaded with a config should a switch stop working.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Secondhand EX4200 in production environment?

Posted 09-23-2013 02:59

Hi,

I hope you will not have issues opening cases with JTAC when you purchase second hand switches. 

Because it might detect different location when you'll give the serial number of the device to them. 

• 3.  RE: Secondhand EX4200 in production environment?

Posted 09-23-2013 03:19

We're only doing very basic VLAN routing and QoS so I wouldn't have thought I'd need to speak with JTAC would I?

• 4.  RE: Secondhand EX4200 in production environment?
    Best Answer

Posted 09-23-2013 06:51

As a reseller who works with a lot of EX4200 switches I would say that they are VERY reliable. I have a demo that I ship around and they get pretty dinged up and still work fine. 

The only reason you would have to reach out to JTAC or the the support site would be for advanced technical questions (JTAC) or for a code upgrade (support site.) 

I don't know if it is possible to recertifiy second hand gear for support but assuming that the boxes power up with no log errors I think it is a safe approach.

• 5.  RE: Secondhand EX4200 in production environment?

Posted 09-24-2013 03:13

Thanks, Kevin. Great to get some personal experience in these answers.

Andrew.

• 6.  RE: Secondhand EX4200 in production environment?

Posted 09-24-2013 04:53

You can activate support on these second-hand switches. Juniper's policy for reinstatement when support has lapsed, or equipment ownership has been transferred, is here: http://www.juniper.net/support/990222.pdf

As an aside, EX3300 offer dual power supplies, too - just external. For the most part, I use EX3300 as access switches in my designs. EX4200 for data centers, or where I need a "mini-core" that will handle some routing protocols.

• 7.  RE: Secondhand EX4200 in production environment?

Posted 09-24-2013 05:53

Hey Thorsten nice comment on the support. Gee as I reseller, I guess I am supposed to know that. 🙂